Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Has this been happening to anybody else on here? I performed the new leopard update just last night and now when I am watching a youtube video (or any other streaming video of a few minutes in length or longer) my MB fan goes wild and the CPU temp rises to 175 degrees! That is the highest it has ever gone to in it's existence. I bought it 3 months ago and never had this problem until just now. I have a Blackbook with the SR 2.2 and 1gb ram. I bought it "stock" and upgraded no hardware/software when I bought it.

Is there a way to downgrade to the 10.5.1 so I don't have to put up with this and wait till Apple corrects the problem? There is no doubt in my mind that this is related to the update. I do the same types of stuff nightly with my MB and all of the sudden I am getting this fan noise and heat, coincidentally, right after a major update. I see a 100% correlation here. I can't call apple as my 90 days of tech support just ran out!

Please advise. Any input will be much appreciated.

:( :mad: <---sad, and mad!

christopher3071

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Upstate, NY
Did you also do the graphics update apple released, it's only available after you've upgraded to 10.5.2 That could be what your issue is. I'd try that, my macbook's running just fine after upgrading to 10.5.2 and then upgrading their little graphics thing.

If that doesn't work try resetting your PRAM by turning off your macbook, taking out the battery and holding down the power button for five seconds, then start up (This has also been a god send to me in the past with my macbook)

Hope this helps, good luck

EDIT: I'd rather try to fix the issue with 10.5.2 than downgrade back to 10.5.1 if that is possible anyway.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Did you also do the graphics update apple released, it's only available after you've upgraded to 10.5.2 That could be what your issue is. I'd try that, my macbook's running just fine after upgrading to 10.5.2 and then upgrading their little graphics thing.

If that doesn't work try resetting your PRAM by turning off your macbook, taking out the battery and holding down the power button for five seconds, then start up (This has also been a god send to me in the past with my macbook)

Hope this helps, good luck

EDIT: I'd rather try to fix the issue with 10.5.2 than downgrade back to 10.5.1 if that is possible anyway.

Yea, I did the graphics update too. I am all up to date according to software update. I'll try resetting the PRAM. An apple tech person told me the other day to take out the battery, hold the power button down for 10 seconds, put the battery back in, and then press and hold the cmd+option+(2 other keys that I forgot) down till I hear the Apple powerup chime two times. Then, release the keys. Is this the reset you are referring to? If it is, what are those 2 buttons that I cant remember? For some reason I think that one of them was "r" but I may be wrong.

Please advise.

Thx.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Seems to have worked! Thanks!! :D

When streaming a music video for example, the CPU temp still rises but not at the alarming rate it was doing before. The fans stay off high blast so thats good!

edcoche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Seems to have worked! Thanks!! :D

When streaming a music video for example, the CPU temp still rises but not at the alarming rate it was doing before. The fans stay off high blast so thats good!

It SEEMED to have worked. I didn't really experiment around with it much last night after I did the PRAM reset. Today when I tried to watch a 20 minute video stream it happened again, the CPU temp rose to 171* and the fans went wild. The only application that was running was safari and there was only 2 windows open, so it's not like the computer was being worked very hard. This is a very frustrating problem, as it never before existed prior to the 10.5.2 update. The only thing that used to trigger fan noise happened while I was burning or storing CD's on my computer, and occasionally when I had like 15 things going on that maxed out the computer--thats it.

I cannot call apple anymore as my 90 days of free telephone support has expired. My MB is only 3 months old.

Has this happened to anybody else? Any recommendations as to how I can fix this CPU overheating issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.