Because of Android, No Gmail Push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Sep 23, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

So the new G1 has Gmail push... does this mean we will most likely never see it on the iPhone since google would want the upper hand?

It's pretty obvious they have the tech/servers to accomplish this

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

3. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I doubt we will see push email from google on the iphone. Since apple is charging for mobileme, they want to be the only ones that offer push services. Well Yahoo does, but aren't they out of business yet. :D

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't think there is anything different between gmail on the iPhone and gmail on the desktop except that the desktop supports IMAP Idle (push) and the iPhone does not. It's not Google's fault that Apple won't implement their end. Apple is probably afraid that it will kill MobileMe on the iPhone if everybody can get push gmail, but then why does Apple mail.app on the desktop support it? I have mail.app and gmail and push to the desktop works like a charm. Too bad Apple won't do the same for the iPhone and keeps it crippled.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I really hope not.

That'd be pretty lame of Google.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Read my post right above yours. I don't think Google has anything to do with it.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

What about Yahoo Mail, though? That pushes ...

8. stevin macrumors regular

I don't think you're correct either. Apple isn't crippling push gmai (gmail just didn't support it)

mail.app doesn't have gmail emails pushed to it *as far as i know* it just fetches mail via imap at whatever interval you want it to.

I think/hope we actually will see push email from google on the iphone pretty soon.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Take a look at advanced options in the newest version of mail.app and you will find a checkbox to allow use of IMAP Idle (if supported). It just so happens that gmail DOES support it, and it works great if you enable it. You can completely turn off get )set to manual) or increase the interval to max) and your new emails will still come in immediately.

EDIT: I just tried it again and it works like a charm.

10. daniels macrumors member

Where exactly did you find those options? I didn't see anything like that.

11. Pared macrumors 65816

I'm at a loss as well. No idea what he is referring to.

12. gh0001 macrumors member

I am okay with no Gmail email push on iphone, but Gmail calendar/contact push or sync with iPhone would be fantastic.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

From the menu bar, select Mail->Preferences->Accounts->(gmail account)->Advanced

There should be a checkbox toward the bottom of the screen that says "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" (mail.app v3.2)

Attached Files:

14. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

He's talking about Mail.app in OS X, not on the iPhone.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, that is right. I was simply stating that push works well for gmail on Apple's own desktop app, but they haven't enabled it in their iPhone app, so it is not Google's fault that it doesn't work.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm gonna ignore the "whose fault is it?" debate since I don't know. But I can easily deconstruct this comment.

There is no way that google will withold features from g-mail on the iPhone for very long. It's more important to them that everyone use g-mail than everyone use Android.

They wouldn't want to see iPhone users start moving to Yahoo or something, so they'll eventually make g-mail push available for the iPhone, I'm certain.

Why it isn't there now...? Well, you all can keep debating over that. I have no clue. My point is that IF it's google's fault, they will eventually rectify it.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think we know that at all. Syncing stuff to desktops and to cell phones are often 2 different technologies.

Look at Apple's MobileMe. The iPhone syncs almost instantly but the desktops can only sync every 15 minutes.

Might Google also have different ways of syncing to different types of devices? Perhaps their desktop software works but their cell-phone push software is just now being deployed?

I have no idea so I'm not saying that's so. All I'm saying is that you can't draw conclusions with the information you have.

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Apple has been touting Yahoo Mail push since day one. As far as push being on Apple's or Google's end, I have no idea.

19. dwcliff macrumors newbie

Syncing your iPhone with google calendar and contacts is currently available (for free) via nuevasync. I've been using it for about a month and it's great!! It does sync using Exchange, so you can't have another Exchange account already in use on your device for it to work.

20. friekunater macrumors 6502

wait, yahoo mail on the iPhone has PUSH?!?

I think I would near wet myself if gügle unleashed gmail push for the iPhone!

maybe wait until oct. 22nd or later for an announcement..? :)

21. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Aww, I'd bloody love iPhone Mail to allow GMail Push! :D

22. jswright2005 macrumors newbie

23. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I wouldn't imagine Android would prevent Push...

If anything, Google would be quicker to develop it. You can't keep push exclusive to one particular phone. =)

24. gh0001 macrumors member

thanks. nuevasync looks attractive to me. Will try it shortly.

I feel that Apple somehow deliberately cripple gmail push/OTA syncing to give way to their own MobileMe. It will be interesting to see if the competition from Android will change the game. Personally I think it will have a major impact on Apple's strategy down the road.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

It does indeed.

In fact, I forward my gmail to my yahoo mail which pushes to my iPhone ;)