Because...shiny...new...gadget!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WoodrowCall, Sep 23, 2015.

1. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Has anyone else had this situation come up:
    Spouse: So, why are you so excited about the new iPhone? You keep checking the internet, reading about it, etc.
    Me: Because it's got 3D touch *erm* and a higher megapixel camera...and the screen is a flash.
    Spouse: So, it really doesn't do that much compared to the one you have.
    Me: Yeah, but it's NEW and SHINY. I just want it!

Anyone else?

2. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I am just getting "You're upgrading already? Didn't you just get a new phone last year?" from my coworkers. I work at a tech company so it's not a big deal at all though. We all get new toys all the time. More RAM is a perfectly acceptable reason to get anything.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

My wife is pretty excited too, though I'd say she's "geek lite" :D

4. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I'm constantly mocked for the speed with which I tear through gadgets (of all sorts, not just phones). But the laughing stops and the rush begins when it comes time to get my former gadgets at friends-and-coworker prices. (or free if I like them enough)

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

Well the internal improvements are pretty dramatic, especially the processor and RAM upgrades. If she can't understand that, it's time for a divorce. ;)

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well I have had a similar conversation but it wasn't about me getting the iPhone. I purchased the 6 knowing full well I'd hang onto it for minimum 2 years, also got the applecare. Now the wife has the 5C and I had wanted her to get the 6S. She said she is comfortable with her iPhone but I tried convincing her to upgrade, live vicariously through her lol

7. noobinator macrumors 601

One of my co-workers always makes fun of me for getting new phones quite often. Last time I said, well my hobby is relatively cheap. I then reminded him that he drives an 80,000 car for his 5 mile commute and he shut up.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The only limit I have on the tech I buy is finances. If having enough money wasn't an issue in my life then justifying a purchase wouldn't be an issue either.

9. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I play guitar so I'm used to similar comments.

10. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

It's strange, I don't want to get the 6s mainly for the features, I want to get it to downgrade from the 6 plus because it's too big, while receiving added bonuses. ha.

11. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

My wife thinks that I should still be happy with the Nokia that I had in 2002

12. laurarh macrumors regular

I haven't updated since the 5s so I'm updating in the normal 2-year time frame. My fiance sort of seemed amazed at one point since I've been following it that much. But he's obsessed with Destiny right now and always has some sort of game that he's into. So I just said he has his gaming and I have my iPhone releases. That seemed to put it into perspective for him haha

13. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Tell her to be grateful it's your gadgets you like to swap out so frequently, and not your wives... ;-)

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Whenever someone points out my tech spending I just point out how they spend ridiculous amounts of money on other things.

"You get a new phone, like, all the time"
    "You have 45 pairs of shoes. At least I'm using what I buy".

or

"You spent $1000 to take pictures of trains. I can just google what they look like".

15. hutrebug macrumors regular

If you're spending the money that you earn, your spouse has no right to bitch about it.

16. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

I'm single and I support myself 100%, so I justify myself to absolutely no one (the dog doesn't care - I asked him). I buy what I want, when I want. Blissful.

17. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Whoa whoa whoa...just to clarify, this isn't a story about my spouse bitching about what I spend money on. It's just a fun observation about myself, recognizing that I have all these "reasons" to upgrade, but the most obvious one being that I like new and shiny gadgets. For the record, my SO is awesome :)

18. Benched08 macrumors regular

Maybe for you, but I NEED this upgrade. My life is very important, and the speed improvements will help me save seconds every day so I have more time to be important.

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Im definitely a smartphone junky. It's really my only true indulgence and my wife doesn't even question it when I switch every year (or sometimes a couple times a year).

She does say she feels sorry for me and it seems like torment. Maybe she's right lol.

20. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I tell her to just be glad that I'm not into golf. :)

21. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I have a 6+ and am set to receive my 6S+ on Friday. For some reason since the keynote, I've had this terrible itch that I just can't scratch - feels like my skin is crawling. I also keep sweating and shaking at times. hmm. :eek:

22. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Give her your 6, you get the upgrade :) I've done that once or twice since my wife really doesn't care if she has the newest phone.

23. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I'm surrounded by people like that. My partner, my friends, my family, my co-workers... They simply don't get it. I need it and I need it now!

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Was it the Nokia 3310? Legendary!!!

25. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I did the same thing with my boyfriend, even though I'm getting the 6S+ as well. He said, "Eh, maybe in a few months." I was like, "OMG DO IT NOW!" Lol.