Because we might get Larabee in the next MBPs....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakespice, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jakespice macrumors newbie

I must ask, reading about intel's gpu in articles... all i get is hard facts with digits and abbreviations that i dont really understand.

then when i read about it in forums and such, most people are bashing it, why are some people bashing it and some people saying they like the idea?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Larrabee isn't Intel GMA.

Start here and work up. I include some more links later on in that thread.

3. tastychicken macrumors member

Like the Eidorian said, Larrabee isn't a integrated GPU, its a dedicated GPU. The difference between Nvidia/ATI and Larrabee is that Larrabee is built on a x86 architecture. It's supposed to compete in the high end market. I don't believe we'll see Larrabee in the MBP because early reports shows that Larrabee's TDP is at 300W. But you never know.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying you're wrong (I don't know), but 300W seems like an awful lot for a GPU. I mean, the Core 2 Duo chip is only 35W, and the 9400M is 12W.

If it truly is 300W (or even a third of that), there's no way it will make it into a laptop.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Its was never meant to. At least not yet. Have you check the TDP of high end graphic cards? Radeon HD 4870 X2 and GTX 295 are nearly 300W themselves.

6. tastychicken macrumors member

Your absolutely right, but you have to also consider that Larrabee isn't really a mobile product. It's meant to be a desktop graphics card. When you compare desktop parts to Larrabee, (Core i7-920 TDP: 130W/ NVidia 295 GTX: 289) its about inline. Perhaps later there will be a Mobile variant of Larrabee but for now, we'll just have to wait and see.