Become a Registered iPhone Developer

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by pizzapizza92, Jan 24, 2010.

1. pizzapizza92 macrumors newbie

I am going to start app coding myself. As I am signing up to become a registered developer, I am not sure as of now if I want to code for recreation, or business purposes. Am I allowed to select business developer and change it later if need be?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Do you mean enterprise? If so, then you need at least 500 employees in your business to be eligible.

3. pizzapizza92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if at one point in time I wanted to start selling my apps. in the store and I was only one person I would just register as a "private" user or what ever the recreational coder is called? But I would still be able to sell them?

4. rastersize macrumors member

There's only two types of membership:
    a) Enterprise Program ($299) - If you represent an organization of 500 persons or more and want to distribute your application(s) internally (not via app store) and/or on the app store.
    b) Standard Program ($99) - If you don't fit the enterprise program description then this is what you go for. Allows you to publish your application(s) on the app store.

I presume you should go for option b). Like everyone else.

Then you will have to choose between "Standard Individual" and "Standard Company". Which should be quite easy for you, will you be publishing you application(s) in the name of your company or the company you work for?
    If you answered yes go for "Standard Company".
    Else go for "Standard Individual".

And yes, you will be able to sell your application which ever options you choose, enterprise, standard individual or standard company. That is the whole point of the membership.

5. pizzapizza92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the info, to actually sell my apps, I do have to register and pay the fee with apple, right?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not exactly true. Enterprise members cannot sell the apps on the App Store.

Yes. Also, realize that it is possible to sign up as Standard Individual and convert that into a Standard Company enrollment later on, if you desire. You'll need to contact Apple if you do, though.

Plus, if you are just getting started there is no need to pay the enrollment just yet. Sign up for the free program, download the SDK, build apps and test them in the simulator. All this for free. When you are ready to deploy your app to a device for testing and then submit to Apple for distribution on the App Store, then you can enroll in the paid program.

Also, make sure you have checked out the Stickies and Guides at the top of this very forum.