Becoming a California resident?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm looking for the criteria that needs to be met to become considered a California resident. I can't find it anywhere.

And if you live in an apartment owned by an university, are you excluded?

2. shecky Guest

shecky

i feel like this is a trick question, but i will bite: is "move to California" not the answer you were looking for?

if you are talking about for paying "in-state" or California Resident tuition for college its usually one year of residency before you qualify.

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's the latter :)

I'm mainly asking what they consider a "resident" to be. Does someone who lives in an apartment belonging to an university and living off loans count?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Which can be shown by the date you get the driver's license and 1 years filing of CA state taxes.

Taxes are the usual resident thing and a resident usually gets a driver's license within 90 days.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he may also have to show that he isn't claimed as a dependent on his parents taxes which could mean providing a copy of their taxes too

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

It's those dang California TV ad's that are getting to you, there getting to me too.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's the university that makes the decision about whether you qualify as an "in-state" student, so all you have to do is convince them. You have to prove that you plan to make California your permanent home, remaining there after you finish school. You of course don't have to follow through on those plans, but you have to look like you're going to.

Register your car/driver's license in CA. Register to vote in CA. Pay CA taxes. Close out-of-state bank accounts and open ones in CA. Make your CA address your permanent address in all cases...have university documents, bills, etc. all sent there.

Basically break all ties with your home state. Then after a year you file a petition with the university, and they'll grant you in-state status.

8. amanjits macrumors newbie

What can a dependent do to obtain california residency, if the parents are not california residents , but are new green card holders, and the child is going to college in california, how can the child establish residency , without the parents becoming california residents or the child having to prove himself/herself to be financially independent for two years

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I looked in to Santa Monica City college, all they require is a 6-month active CA bank account, and an ID card. I have both, even though I live in Utah. ;)

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Funny seeing this thread. I've lived in California for 2 years now.

I've ended up not declaring residency at the school I'm going to for reasons I won't share. Though I'm not declaring residency, I've long met the requirements. It's not really hard. :)

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Haha, I didn't notice this was even a thread-necro. :eek: Oops.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lol....you mean you discovered it was far cheaper to keep your car registered and insured back where you came from instead of changing it to california?

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i made that mistake when moving to ny