becoming a developer

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by aldair12, Oct 19, 2011.

1. aldair12 macrumors newbie

hey guys I'm new here so please go easy on me

I want to become a developer a develop apps for ios. I have no experience with c or objective c. The only programming language I know is pascal. So I am wondering what steps should i take in order learn c and how long would it take.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. aldair12 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thx for the quick response, i thought i would have to do more but thats great

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Oh, you do indeed have quite a bit of work ahead of you.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I certainly didn't mean to imply it was going to be easy, only that I don't think you need to learn C, then Objective-C then Cocoa Touch.

B

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I learned Objective-C with a C Reference pdf to help me understand the syntax. Granted, I had a background in BASIC, assembly, ML, Pascal and HyperTalk, so learning fundamental C was just one more bit of multi-lingualism, but the differences from Pascal to C are not all that difficult to climb over. Cocoa, OTOH, made my head hurt for months until I got it. Halfway through Hillegass, I put the book down and have barely touched it since, opting to pick up what I need as I go. Keep your Docs close at hand always.

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Learning C is the easy part, learning the framework is the tough part. In my opinion Objective-C is hard to learn and doesn't make sense at first, but then once you learn it, and use it, you realize how much easier things are. Especially with ARC in iOS 5. You no longer need to worry about memory. I feel dirty every time I use it. Like I've committed a sin.