Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Jovi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
London
Did any of you guys on here that are video editors start off as runners? Or were you able to go into assistant editor postions straight from college?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Did any of you guys on here that are video editors start off as runners? Or were you able to go into assistant editor postions straight from college?
Things vary depending on the size of the market you are in and the size the company you get a job with, but pretty much everyone starts on the bottom rung as a PA, runner, digitizer or some other "we just need a warm body" entry level type position.

The thing about school in relation to the entertainment industry is that it doesn't teach you how anything about how it all works out in the "real world." This is one reason why I always stress to get involved w/an internship or work study program while in school. Not only do you learn how a real post house works, but you'll meet (and hopefully impress) people that can help get you a job when you graduate.

Lethal

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Things vary depending on the size of the market you are in and the size the company you get a job with, but pretty much everyone starts on the bottom rung as a PA, runner, digitizer or some other "we just need a warm body" entry level type position.

The thing about school in relation to the entertainment industry is that it doesn't teach you how anything about how it all works out in the "real world." This is one reason why I always stress to get involved w/an internship or work study program while in school. Not only do you learn how a real post house works, but you'll meet (and hopefully impress) people that can help get you a job when you graduate.

Lethal

Everything about this post is unfortunately true. I started off by working nights loading and logging sporatically at some small production company, then moved up to loading, logging and laying off shows steadily every night at a major television show during wich time I did freelance PA work during the day before I actually got a full time salary paying job during daylight hours. I didn't mind the work because I was making connections, gaining experience and it afforded me to pursue personal side projects. If you have steady freelance gigs you can make some good money and its a hell of alot better than waiting tables to pay rent while sending out resumes. Youre more likely to find a job while working than you are spamming resumes around and going on interviews. It's not about what you know but who you know. So start PA'ing and assistant editing asap. Like Lethal said school is great because it can show you what path in the production world you might want to follow but it can't succesfully show you how the industry functions.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
CORRECTION!CORRECTION!CORRECTION!CORRECTION!

there is a universal version of xpress pro for mactel! its a beta but it works well. you need to have a service account with Avid in order to get the "free download" and you get one of those by paying Avid for Xperss pro!!!!!!

Can you supply a link to this?

Davowade

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Ok, here's my 2c.

Learn everything you can. Easy. (he he he)
Learn your basic FCS suite for an all round base in editing and production.
Learn after effects because it has been around for ages, and is still a fantastic program despite not being a universal binary yet.
If you can, try an avid. Pretty sure you can get a trial DV version from them, but it sucks learning it without an avid keyboard.

Watch lots and lots of edited material, TV, Movies, ads, everything! Look at how they are done. "Borrow" ideas if you must, but try editing a few things that you are passionate about and really get involved in something.

And never forget, video projects are never finished, they are only abandoned.

Oh and enjoy daylight while you still have the chance. :p

pxlmvr7

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
Editing essentials

Essential editing programs:
FCS, learn all you can, great suite of products; Photoshop, for client logos, creating supers and various other graphics; After Effects, for stuff FCP can' do and compositing; Illustrator, at least a working knowledge for those elements which will be used in After Effects; Some sort of compression product, web video will be HUGE soon; Some sort of audio sweeting tool, Soundtrack is great, Pro Tools is a standard, also I LOVE Sonicfire Pro, great for tuning your music bed to the length of your program. If you can learn Avid, that would be great; most tv shows and movies are still edited on Avid.

One good pointer on editing; watch programs with the sound down to see the cuts, then with the sound up. Watch programs in slow motion and frame by frame to count frames on quick cuts.

Editors are increasingly responsible for all aspects of content. Graphics, audio sweetening, motion graphics are our responsibility now. Take some art classes to learn layout and composition for use in creating graphics.

Editing is a wonderful career, learn all that you can.

pxlmvr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.