Becoming ADC student member just to get the hardware discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stephan.works, Oct 11, 2008.

1. stephan.works macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop in the next few weeks because my PB12 is getting pretty old.
    Since I'm a student and since I'll probably spend ~2000$ I was wondering it might be worth it to become an ADC student member and get the once-in-a-lifetime 20% discount.

(I would also love to get the Snow Leopard DVD! -if it ships in the next 12 months-).

Can I be a member only for one year?
    Does the discount applies to international stores (I live in Italy)?
    Also, do I get a one or two year warranty?

Thank you very much.
    Marco

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can renew your membership as long as you're a student. You get the discount once.

You'll get a copy of Leopard now, and if Snow Leopard comes out within the year, you should very well get it, too.

3. Eder6301 macrumors member

Eder6301

i think that you would get the ADC membership its a good percentage taken off the price

ust make sure that if you decide to buy applecare buy it using ur student discount not with ur adc purchase. its cheaper at the student store then the developer store

also if u go for the ADC program and decide to purchase the new laptops when they get announced you should submit for the program now since it takes about 3-5 from the time you apply to the time you can use the discount

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or he can not get one on launch day... it's not like that's the only day they'll be out.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you could qualify I believe with the higher education discount you get a three year warranty? Or I might just be really out of it. Not sure if that would work with the ADC as well though.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only in the UK.

7. impreza98 macrumors member

Does anyone know if you can use the ADC student discount on an iPhone as well?

8. stephan.works thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody!!
    Gonna get one of the new MacBooks... still undecided between MacBook and MacBook Pro...

I know it's not possible on iPods so I guess it is not possible on iPhones...
    Moreover in the Italian store iPhones are not sold!

Bye!

9. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

10. katy macrumors member

I found this in the terms

Your ADC Membership may permit you to purchase a limited number of development systems at a
    discount. A system is equivalent to one (1) CPU with one (1) display; one (1) iMac; or one (1) portable.
    You may also purchase accessories (such as a monitor, adaptor, or iPod) with each development system.
    You are limited to one of each type of accessory per system purchased. Discounts will not be applied to
    accessories purchased separately. Please see the ADC Member Site for information on the number and
    type of discounts available under your membership.

11. jhu2 macrumors member

so lets say i buy the adc student membership now, will I get a free copy of snow leopard when it comes out?

12. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

assuming it's out while your membership is vaild. I bought my ADC membership lastnight :D

13. CmXm macrumors newbie

Yes it works and yes you will get all major OS upgrades for 1 year after you purchase membership

2 vital facts:

YOU WILL HAVE TO FAX IN A COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AND/OR PASSPORT ALONG WITH REGISTRATION INFORMATION CONFIRMING YOU ARE A STUDENT BEFORE YOUR MEMBERSHIP STARTS. IT MAY TAKE A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN ORDER THE SYSTEM

-and-

Remember, APPLECARE COSTS RETAIL PRICE AT THE ADC STORE, BUY APPLECARE SEPARATELY ON THE EDUCATION APPLE STORE FOR $100+ LESS

I priced it out, I think (I could be wrong) you save $500 off of retail and $200 off of the education price on a new macbook pro (even taking into account the $99 cost)

Check out the dev prices online in your country (and add $99):
    http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html

14. CmXm macrumors newbie

It works if you are not a student as well-

Cost of Standard 2.5Ghz MBP (no addons, no applecare)
    Retail: $2,499.00
    Education: $2,299.00
    Developer: $1,999.00

Cost of Student Developer License: $99
    Cost of Normal ADC Select License (1 system per year): $499

So if you are stuck paying retail because you are not in school, join the ADC Select program.

Plus the Select ADC License gets you access to pre-release software along with a host of other goodies, plus all the OS upgrades. You can get the betas of upcoming software instead of just reading about them. And get keys of various other software direct from Apple.

Again, same exact price of retail gets you the dev price and a year of software.

15. annamac macrumors member

just became adc student member - which macbook pro to buy?

i just became an adc member (but they did not ask me to fax anything, i just had to put my student number, and i could buy sth discounted immediately... ?)
    but now I don't know which macbook pro to buy:
    - the 2,4 GHz (as ADC member 1599,-) or
    - the 2,53 GHz (as ADC member 1999,-)

I will use it mainly for 3d programs (Maya, 3ds max under windows, AutoCAD under windows etc.), and some graphic programs.
    (I assume that word, excel and internet will run equally fast in both options..:cool:).

any advice on that?

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The latter, and yes, as long as you don't fax you should be able to purchase immediately.

17. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

work at apple, you get a nice discount. used to work there. or become friends with someone that works there. lots work there just for the discount. get hired as a seasonal employee. you can come and go between seasons.

18. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I wish we had real apple stores here then I would apply for a job instantly :(
    They opened a proper one in Sydney but in the other states they are all resellers called "Next byte"...

19. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize that you also get OS updates. I'm definitely doing this now! According to the front page of macrumors, an updated beta of the new OS went out to developers yesterday. Surey the Snow Leopard will come out in the next year!

So, what are the hardware requirements of Snow Leopard? Will 2.4 be enough or should I get 2.53? I'm looking at both and still haven't decided between the two. I don't do a lot of work that really requires the higher processing speed, I just want to be sure that I've got enough power to upgrade because this will be my computer for quite some time! It's probably going to be at least a week, if not a little more, until I order, if this dang funding would ever come from my husband's school! Decisions, decisions..... At least I made one decision! I am joining ADC and I am buying AppleCare through my school's site. Hey, that's two decisions!

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That is the fun part, you want to play developer then you get to test out the beta software....