Becoming an architect?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I am wondering, after seeing that architect thread, about the architects here. Do you guys like your jobs? Or are you like lawyers who try futilely to tell others not to make the same mistake?

And if one is unsure about a job in the industry, what is a good way to get a taste before diving in (going back to school, etc)? You know, to see if you really do want to work with architecture?

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

You sound like you're having a quarter life crisis and don't know at all what you want to do. First it was quitting lawschool (?), then maybe business school (?) and now maybe architecture.

I think you know you're unhappy with your current situation, which is a good thing. I think you should stop and figure things out. Sometimes that means stopping and taking a break from "life" and doing something else like bartending or waitering (nothing wrong with that) until you figure things out. Or if you can swing it, take a sabbatical from your life and travel far away.

As for finding out about other careers etc, the best answer is networking. How do you network? Start by going back to your high school contacts, then university and also just talking with friends, especially those who are working now. Maybe shadow one if they're doing something that's interesting to you.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

^^^

That's some sound advice, jng.

Take a 'break' and re-evaluate what's really important to you and what makes you happy. Then dive right in!

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. "Quarter-life crisis", heh.

You are right, I have no idea what I want to do with my life right now. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with law school (I basically went into it blindly). I think my mistake was that I didn't talk to lawyers to see what it's really like. I should have taken a part time job at a law firm for a short time, so I can see what it's really like, then I would have had a better idea of whether I want to work in that environment or not.

It's kind of hard to take time off in life. Money, etc.

I suck at this networking thing, I've never really done it before. Guess I will have to force myself to become aggressive.

But hey, if you think about it, right here is a place to start. I think I've asked the right questions in the original post. Hopefully someone will take a bite.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It doesn't cost much to take a short career break. Just pack a bag and bugger-off somewhere for a little while - serve in a bar, pick some fruit, volunteer in a foreign country, anything.

You'd be surprised who you'd meet on a sabbatical - teachers, lawyers, architects, business people, pissed off sales people ( :D ), etc. who are all going through the exact same thing as you.

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

7. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

What helped me decide what I wanted to do was a sizable quantity of fungi. It wasn't a "hey, I'll do that" sort of thing where I went off half-cocked and knowing nothing about the business. It was more of a "hey, this is what my life has always revolved around, despite countless half- or unsuccessful flirtations with numerous other ideas, and with hard work and dedication I can accumulate the knowledge I have acquired, concentrate it into a tightly-focused beam, and use it to enhance the thing that I actually want to do with my life" sort of thing.

I won't go so far as to say that I feel like my life has a purpose now, since I find life too absurd to have a purpose, but I will say that I have found what makes me happy.

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

It is not as hard as you believe. Ok, so you can't travel, but take a year off and bartend or waiter. Believe or not, it can pay well in tips and it's also a great way to network. I worked at a restuarant for years and know many regular customers very well and they have definitely offered insight into their jobs/careers and advice.

I also considered law school (even took the LSAT) but alas decided it was not for me. I did not work at a law firm part time but rather spoke with people who were lawyers and people in law school. Some lawyers actually love their jobs. Not everyone is stressed out and angry or depressed. It just wasn't for me.

Don't be too aggressive with networking. You have to be personable. I say start with friends because I don't think they mind if you just call up and be like, hey, can I see what you do for a day? Try also parents' friends. Outside of the friendpool is harder. It's a give and take relationship. Be prepared to have something to offer...

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i have to say this...if you want to enjoy being an architect...u have to love it...otherwise you'll fail, not do badly, but fail

uni/college course choice is a huge decision if you have no idea what to do...but if in doubt...do a commerce degree at the best uni/college you can get into

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I fing love it. You're at the center of this crazy whirling chaotic storm, and you have to be the one to manage everything and make money in the process. It's not for the faint of heart, or those who cannot be forceful in presenting their vision.