Becoming connectable or "clever" in Azureus for OS X?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Are you getting any connection at all? More info would be helpful. If you are getting some connections, what color smilie do you have? Make sure the port you opened is the same port you are using in your Preferences.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you have the OSX firewall turned on (and if you don't why not) then remember to punch a hole through that for the open ports as well.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Alright I do have a connection, except my smilies are all yellow and I'm running very slow rates for a cable modem, even though there are plenty of seeds. I just turned the OS X firewall on and the only thing that I have allowed are ports 6881-6999. Should there be anything else allowed like Network Time or any of that stuff? Thanks.

Daniel

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Something is still interfering with the connections. What kind of firewall/router are you using?

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
how do you open specific ports on OSX
Peterkro said:
You may want to try changing the listening port something in the 55000 range if you've forwarded your ports correctly and firewalls O.K. some trackers/isps have been known to block default ports for some reason.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but it seemed to fit in this convo.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
BurtonCCC said:
Alright I do have a connection, except my smilies are all yellow and I'm running very slow rates for a cable modem, even though there are plenty of seeds. I just turned the OS X firewall on and the only thing that I have allowed are ports 6881-6999. Should there be anything else allowed like Network Time or any of that stuff? Thanks.

Daniel
You only need to forward one port. It should be the port number listed under:
Preferences-->Connection-->Incoming TCP listen port

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Okay now I have only the one port I need open. Should I be seeing green smilies now? And by the way, for whoever asked, I'm only using the OS X firewall and I guess my router is an AirPort Express.

Daniel

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
BurtonCCC said:
Okay now I have only the one port I need open. Should I be seeing green smilies now? And by the way, for whoever asked, I'm only using the OS X firewall and I guess my router is an AirPort Express.

Daniel
Did you open up the port in both the OS X firewall and the AirPort Express?

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
the smilies have nothing to do with it. you can have all your ports open and still have a red smiley if the torrent is unseeded.

instead, open the Azureus configuration assistant and do a TCP listen check. if this returns okay, the ports are open, and anything else is bad seeding or the peers on the torrent not being "clever".

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
zach said:
the smilies have nothing to do with it. you can have all your ports open and still have a red smiley if the torrent is unseeded.

instead, open the Azureus configuration assistant and do a TCP listen check. if this returns okay, the ports are open, and anything else is bad seeding or the peers on the torrent not being "clever".
He said he had yellow smilies. 90% if you have yellow and not green, its because ports are not correctly open. But yes you are correct in saying his ports may be open and he still many not get green smilies.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
When I do the listen check, it says I have a NAT error. I did only open the port in the OS X firewall and not on the AirPort, how do I do that?

Dan

photomartyn

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2005
HI, i have a mac powerbook g4 , airport express, and a Mercury KOB router and i wanna use Azureus . I have tried many options to do port forwarding and open port 6881 but i just can't get this things done . I still have nat error and download speed around 5 kB/s. Can someone explain step by step what to do , what is first and so on

thanks
Peter