Becoming ipad tech

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Super20, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

The school that I work at is going to be rolling out iPads to its high schoolers starting next fall. I want to be able to do any repairs or part replacement in house. I know that the school has to have a certain arrangement but what kind of certifications do I need to have to perform the repairs? I've checked around the Apple site and it seems like I am just going in circles.

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

You can teach yourself how to do basic repairs on an iPad, such as screen replacement, by simply searching around on the internet; check out www.ifixit.com. Seeing as you already work at the school, do you really think you need an ACMT certification to do basic fixes on iPads? Also, does the school you work at have an IT department?

3. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Your school / IT dept needs to apply for a self servicing / iOS Direct Service account. This basically certifies you to act as an AppleCare agent and order directly through Apple's warranty system.

iOS Direct Service Program

With that said, when they mention repairs in regards to iPads all they offer are full device replacements. As of right now there are no component level repairs available within AppleCare's system for iPads / iPods. This program does at least allow you to expedite service typically without having to phone Apple or visit an AASP.

----------

I think he's asking about working within AppleCare's boundaries; i.e. not voiding warranties by performing unauthorized repairs on in warranty iPads.

You don't need to be ACMT in order to fix Macs, anyone can do that. However you do need to be ACMT in order to fix Macs without jeopardizing AppleCare.

ACMT doesn't really apply to iPads though. Thats more of an iOS certification within AppleCare that's offered to existing technicians.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Oh, okay. I didn't even think of voiding the warranty by performing unauthorized repairs, thanks for the clarification.

5. Super20 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Our school basically has no IT dept. or person. We pay a company to come once a week for server maintenance and it's a joke what we pay for nothing. I just want to position myself to be the best candidate for this position when it open up by having the "proper" certs to make me look good. We are probably going 1:1 iPads with teachers still maintaining mac laptop use.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The iOS device certification is really nothing more than authorizing you to initiate a device swap with Apple while the device is under warranty. They then send you a replacement device and you swap the SIM (if applicable) and backup/restore to transfer the data when the replacement arrives. Apple doesn't allow for repairs of iPads in the field.