Bedroom Media Area

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wrinkster22, Jun 9, 2012.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hi, I am looking to add a small tv for my bedroom but need some help on the setup.
    Currently I own a 1000 watt speakers system (philips) with an HDMI port, I also have an airport express that is connected so I can use airplay.
    I need some suggestions on a 28" or so TV.
    The TV would not be connected to cable, I want to stream through a Linux Server.
    I am trying to decide if I should get an Apple TV 3 or Mac Mini G4.
    Could the apple tv play from the server.
    I also have a 2011 macbook air.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

That G4 mini will jutter and utterly fail at streaming anything, especially with flash content (hulu, youtube, netflix). I recommend at LEAST a C2D Mini if going that route.
    I have an LG tv with smartTV functionality and stream movies from my Mac Pro that houses my entire digital DVD and Blu-Ray library.
    I would also recommend at least a 32" television at 1080p.
    If you have a gaming console, there are options for streaming to those as well. (i.e. Connect360)

My recommendation would be to save your $$ until you can afford a decent streaming machine.

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sadly this will have to wait because my Blackberry conked out and now I need a new phone -_-
    (And the TV size would still be the same size regardless of the $ because of the size of the area)

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

Time to get an iPhone lol....

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thats where my media budget is going.
    I still think I may get the mini and just hook it up to a old LCD just for kicks.