Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
It this were one year ago, and there was no subsidized iPhones out there, and the iPhone was still $600 (when it initially came out) I doubt people would be crying over the price of these apps. Those who used to own other smart phones, sees this as a steal. But, putting this phone in the price range of just about anyone (even kids mowing lawns for the summer) people are crying about $16. I spend more then that at Starbucks in a week, or going to see one movie with popcorn and a drink. $16 for a ROCK SOLID IM app that works, is well worth it.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
These BeeJive devs don't understand the sheer number of people who will purchase their app once they bring it down below the $5 mark!! I hope that they have an adequate amont of servers!

@domness - I can't believe that this app is crashing already! It shouldn't take up much memory. That's not a great sign, considering many people are saying that this is the best IM app by far. If it crashes like all the rest, maybe they should consider lowering the price immediately!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
It this were one year ago, and there was no subsidized iPhones out there, and the iPhone was still $600 (when it initially came out) I doubt people would be crying over the price of these apps. Those who used to own other smart phones, sees this as a steal. But, putting this phone in the price range of just about anyone (even kids mowing lawns for the summer) people are crying about $16. I spend more then that at Starbucks in a week, or going to see one movie with popcorn and a drink. $16 for a ROCK SOLID IM app that works, is well worth it.

yeah it really makes me wonder if those who are complaining about the price of any app regardless of the price are those who have no money issues and can easily pay the price but for whatever reason feel it's too "expensive" and don't buy out of principle or those who are complaining do have certain financial issues and that price is out of their range and they are just not happy about it

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
diesel, get with the prograom. Jailbreak that iPuppy and set it free! If it weren't for the jailbroken apps, Steve Jobs would never have developed resident apps on the iPhone. The Apple execs were so in love with web apps - that was their great idea. They didn't realize that the web isn't accessible quite a bit on mobile phones! They saw the success of jailbroken apps and saw dollar signs!!

i haven't had any crashes yet. but then again my iphone hasn't been jailbroken

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
I must say I am beyond impressed with this app. I tried IM+ and while it worked it was quite clunky and slow. This app is amazing, the amount of polish for a 1.0 release is insane. It keeps you logged in for 24 hours, it looks beautiful and it is FAST.

Yes, it is expensive. But it is an extremely high quality app, one of the best I've seen on the app store.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Me and a number of others are getting Time Out errors, can their servers really take it?

EDIT: Okay, now it let me login but as soon as i accessed the buddy list it crashed and took my back to the springboard.

EDIT: Third time lucky!

crackermun

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
i haven't had any crashes yet. but then again my iphone hasn't been jailbroken

I bought MobileChat the day it came out and I just bought this a few moments ago. I need to be connected to IM for work so the price doesn't scare me. Regardless, I can't connect to AIM at all.

I imagine the problem with these 2 companies is they have to setup their own servers (to keep you logged in) and then proxy your data back up to the "IM Provider Cloud" - I have a feeling their servers can't handle the load. As it stands I'm getting a "timed.out" error - I've mentioned it on their forums hopefully they address this issue otherwise this app is another turd.

-Paul

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
diesel, it's out of principle for some, but I'm sure that some people find it difficult to afford it. And just because people choose to pay an exorbitant price for apps for the Blackberry doesn't mean that others will pay the same price for apps for the iPhone - and the same will be true for Android phones. Additionally, prices in the App Store, like any other market, are set by supply and demand, and, considering the fact that there are other competitors at a lower price (who offer a similar product); the fact that push notification is still not possible (I don't want to receive an e-mail as a reminder of each IM - how lame!); and the fact that BeeJive is a new app (that already seems to be crashing), BeeJive's developers need to realize really soon that they need to lower the price to attract a significant number of iPhone users. The pricepoint is too high for the iPhone app market.

yeah it really makes me wonder if those who are complaining about the price of any app regardless of the price are those who have no money issues and can easily pay the price but for whatever reason feel it's too "expensive" and don't buy out of principle or those who are complaining do have certain financial issues and that price is out of their range and they are just not happy about it

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
diesel, get with the prograom. Jailbreak that iPuppy and set it free! If it weren't for the jailbroken apps, Steve Jobs would never have developed resident apps on the iPhone. The Apple execs were so in love with web apps - that was their great idea. They didn't realize that the web isn't accessible quite a bit on mobile phones! They saw the success of jailbroken apps and saw dollar signs!!

hahahahahaha

interesting theory, but i highly doubt that's how it played out and that jailbroken phones were the motivation for supporting native apps. it probably didn't play into their plan at all. i'm sure apple had a long term plan that called initially for web 2.0 apps to whet our appetities, then a transition to native apps, to correspond with their broader 3g strategy. at the end of the day, $$$$ drove apple to allow native apps, $$$$ in the form of taking a % of every paid app via their app store. most likely planned long before the iphone's initial release. successful companies like apple do not become successful by "winging" it quarter by quarter, but by executing on their longer term strategy that could go out a few years if not longer. most of everything that has transpired to date was planned, long in advance.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
How do you know that it will keep you logged in for 25 hours when this app has not even been out for a day? Please stop with the exaggeration! At least wait a day or two before making such comments!!

I must say I am beyond impressed with this app. I tried IM+ and while it worked it was quite clunky and slow. This app is amazing, the amount of polish for a 1.0 release is insane. It keeps you logged in for 25 hours, it looks beautiful and it is FAST.

Yes, it is expensive. But it is an extremely high quality app, one of the best I've seen on the app store.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Me and a number of others are getting Time Out errors, can their servers really take it?

EDIT: Okay, now it let me login but as soon as i accessed the buddy list it crashed and took my back to the springboard.

EDIT: Third time lucky!

i ran into a similar problem but realized i was logged into yahoo via trillian and it was constantly trying to reconnect automatically, and i think that caused a clash for that same account on beejive and wouldn't let me log into that yahoo account in beejive. i just closed out trillian and didn't have a problem since. maybe it was coincidence but something to think about.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I hope that you're right. I also hope that they, along with AT&T, have a great plan for getting a betting 3G signal because mine still sucks! I get dropped calls left and right and poor reception (and I'm in the northern NJ/New York City area)! I keep it on EDGE during the daytime because the 3G signal is abysmal! It's too bad that Apple didn't have enough people testing this phone to realize that the towers in large metropolitan cities wouldn't be able to handle the increased number of users. It's the same issue that MobileChat experienced and that BeeJive is experiencing right now - haha!

hahahahahaha

interesting theory, but i highly doubt that's how it played out and that jailbroken phones were the motivation for supporting native apps. it probably didn't play into their plan at all. i'm sure apple had a long term plan that called initially for web 2.0 apps to whet our appetities, then a transition to native apps, to correspond with their broader 3g strategy. at the end of the day, $$$$ drove apple to allow native apps, $$$$ in the form of taking a % of every paid app via their app store. most likely planned long before the iphone's initial release. successful companies like apple do not become successful by "winging" it quarter by quarter, but by executing on their longer term strategy that could go out a few years if not longer. most of everything that has transpired to date was planned, long in advance.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
diesel, have you heard if Trillian will be making an iPhone app? I have used Trillian on my desktop, and I really like it.

i ran into a similar problem but realized i was logged into yahoo via trillian and it was constantly trying to reconnect automatically, and i think that caused a clash for that same account on beejive and wouldn't let me log into that yahoo account in beejive. i just closed out trillian and didn't have a problem since. maybe it was coincidence but something to think about.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
How do you know that it will keep you logged in for 25 hours when this app has not even been out for a day? Please stop with the exaggeration! At least wait a day or two before making such comments!!

I edited it to 24 hours, which is what's in the settings. You see you can define how long you can have it keep you logged in for in the preferences for the app. I am, of course, assuming the app does what it says it does, but it kept me logged in all last night so it works for at least 8 hours! :D

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Hmm what I see right now is YIM offers to send SMS message from your messenger, you just need to provide the right mobile number of your contact and he/she just needs to reply to it, so pretty much it's free on your side.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any methods.

Yes you're right. AIM also works for SMS. I can now start an SMS without worrying of maxing it out.

This is a killer app. When Apple does Push Notification, Beejive is a must app to have.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I'm just teasing you!! Best of luck with the marathon login!! Let us know if it works as advertised! :D

I edited it to 24 hours, which is what's in the settings. You see you can define how long you can have it keep you logged in for in the preferences for the app. I am, of course, assuming the app does what it says it does, but it kept me logged in all last night so it works for at least 8 hours! :D

Jeonat

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I know it's not their fault, and it does seem like a good program but I'm not buying any IM software until Apple sort the whole background processes/notifications out. I like to be able to zip between perhaps some e-mailing or web surfing while I'm waiting for a contact to reply to an IM. But once that's sorted - it'll be awesome!

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
So I guess the big question is when are Apple going to make push available to apps? I hope it's not too long.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
I know it's not their fault, and it does seem like a good program but I'm not buying any IM software until Apple sort the whole background processes/notifications out. I like to be able to zip between perhaps some e-mailing or web surfing while I'm waiting for a contact to reply to an IM. But once that's sorted - it'll be awesome!

You can actually do that, you just don't get notified when they reply (unless you set up the email). You can close BeeJive and do whatever you want and when you go back any messages people have sent you will be waiting, since it keeps you logged in. Once push is released you will be notified when people reply.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
diesel, it's out of principle for some, but I'm sure that some people find it difficult to afford it. And just because people choose to pay an exorbitant price for apps for the Blackberry doesn't mean that others will pay the same price for apps for the iPhone

Honestly, It's who the Blackberry is marketed to. Kids don't buy Blackberrys. One year ago, Kids couldn't afford an iPhone. NOW, they need to market the apps to the same kids who cry ".99 is TOO MUCH MONEY, THIS SHOULD BE FREE!!!!!"

It's pathetic. Cheap bastards + Subsidized iPhone = dumbed down crappy apps.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
diesel, have you heard if Trillian will be making an iPhone app? I have used Trillian on my desktop, and I really like it.

not sure. according to their site they're still "alpha testing" their iphone web app......but that post was dated July 2007:

http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/?p=162

and i don't know anyone who did messaging through the trillian web app. besides if you look at the screenshots, it looks terrible.

however, there has been no further update from them in their blog so it doesn't look as if they are working on a native app, which is a shame because they could be an instant contender to beejive assuming any native app from them doesn't look as crappy as those screenshots. and competition is GOOD :)

also keep in mind that a lot of what beejive has managed to accomplish in the initial release of their native app was a result of providing their free web app for the past year or so. i was an avid user of the web app and clearly remember how much it has improved over the past year. i'm sure the dev received a ton of feedback to improve the web app over the past year that he was able to implement from the get go into the native app. in a sense the look and feel and functionality of beejive was in beta testing for the past year through his web app and this is the culmination of all that work. kudos to the dev.

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

So far so good. No crashes. I think I saw a time out error when first logging in but nothing since. Far and away light years ahead of MC's launch.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
you know i didnt want to pay 15.99 for an IM app, and i still dont want to but i went ahead and bought it. i thought about it for a few hours and decided with the way i can use the aim sms on it and that it keeps me logged in for up to 24 hours, that i can try using the aim sms alot and if that just cuts my texts in half i can go from unlimited for $20 a month to 1000 texts for 9.99 and that will save me more than the price of the app in just 2 months.

so ill give it a try and i bought it. so far after using it, the program seems top notch and i love the way it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.