Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
Can I ask... why do people want IMs pushed to their EMAIL? Does that mean your mailbox is getting flooded with instant messages? That seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better to get SMS notifications so the message just pops up in front of whatever you're doing?

my favorite 4-letter F word: FREE :)

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
you can configure beejive to email IM notifications to:
your_10digit_phone_number@txt.att.net

IM's will appear on your phone as a sms message nearly instantaneously if a buddy messages you while the app is closed. a perfect workaround until apple gets around to releasing their push feature

Question about this. If I do use this method, does the email IM notification count towards an sms text message?

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Yes, but without Apple's Push Notification Service, that's a distant dream.

R-Fly

Are you actually getting the IM or just a notification that you have an IM waiting and should sign in to get it? Does it also have the logic built in to only send the notification once (for each protocol) until you've signed in?

(Thats the main reason I haven't enabled it yet - If I'm offline for 4 hours, I don't want to get 15 emails telling me I've got IM's - all I need is one).

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I'm trying to understand this - what you say makes complete sense, but when(if?) push is enabled, wouldn't they still need some sort of centralized server? I mean, the push wouldn't be coming direct from AOL/Yahoo/MSN/Google, etc - wouldn't the push come from the Beejive server?

So in theory, when Apple releases the Push Notification service there will be no use for BeeJives centralized server, correct? It also would negate the 16 dollar price tag.

The central server is still used to keep you logged in (the 24 hour will still apply). The ONLY difference that push makes is that instead of queuing and sending you the messages when you open the program again, it sends you the message right away. The server still needs to be there to keep you signed on, get the messages, and now, the server needs to push the messages to Apple's server which would then push it to your phone.

In a sense it would kind of open up some server space as messages would no longer be queued, rather they'd be sent away...but it's insignificant :/.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Are you actually getting the IM or just a notification that you have an IM waiting and should sign in to get it? Does it also have the logic built in to only send the notification once (for each protocol) until you've signed in?

(Thats the main reason I haven't enabled it yet - If I'm offline for 4 hours, I don't want to get 15 emails telling me I've got IM's - all I need is one).

You currently get a nicely formatted e-mail containing the message itself:

• New message from Alex:
hey, you ever used spreadshirt?

and a button 'Open BeeJiveIM'.

[Edit] - To answer your question, I have only received this alert once, in 4 hours (so yes, it has logic - thank God.)

Example viewed from Hotmail account on an iMac

R-Fly

Attachments

• bejive.png
    bejive.png
    22 KB · Views: 161

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The central server is still used to keep you logged in (the 24 hour will still apply). The ONLY difference that push makes is that instead of queuing and sending you the messages when you open the program again, it sends you the message right away. The server still needs to be there to keep you signed on, get the messages, and now, the server needs to push the messages to Apple's server which would then push it to your phone.

In a sense it would kind of open up some server space as messages would no longer be queued, rather they'd be sent away...but it's insignificant :/.

I'm not sure how Apple's push notification system will work, but my assumption is that it will only be able to push a notification to the phone telling it to add a number beside the app. I think they will still have to queue up the messages and send them to your phone when you open the app.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I'm not sure how Apple's push notification system will work, but my assumption is that it will only be able to push a notification to the phone telling it to add a number beside the app. I think they will still have to queue up the messages and send them to your phone when you open the app.

for an im app the server will still have to be able to keep you logged in if you want to show up as online at least. but as far as your messages they'll just be pushed to you as you receive them without having to have the app active and open and alert you in the 3 different methods available. so basically you'll know what apps you need to open that would benefit from something like this, and you wont just have to open them just to check.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
actually you can do it. for example sms your own phone from aim, that number that shows up that youre replying to you can add to your contact and sms that specific number at any time and they'll get the message. you just have to explain it to people that they can sms that number and reach you.

Hmm actually that stills ding your SMS account using your phone number from those senders that initiate it.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is for users to SMS me but the message gets sent to AIM, rather than my SMS number.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Hmm actually that stills ding your SMS account using your phone number from those senders that initiate it.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is for users to SMS me but the message gets sent to AIM, rather than my SMS number.

that is what i said, i only said to message yourself as a test. go into the app, use aim to text your iphone. it will show a number that the message comes from something like xxx-xx

if anyone texts that number it goes to your aim account.

i only said to do it to yourself to test it so that you can see that it works.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

If your assumption is correct (and it seems like a logical one) - then it would treat IM apps (not just Beejive, but any that have the functionality) like email or the App store and you'd get background notifications that you have an IM waiting.. Which is what I want.. (bonus points if they allow developers to use the notification bar and put a little IM icon near the battery!). :)

frowsy

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
need confirmation

can someone confirm that you can play music through the ipod function of your phone while this app is being used?

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

frowsy said:
can someone confirm that you can play music through the ipod function of your phone while this app is being used?

Yes you can!! Just tested this.

kickpush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
New York
I bit the bullet and bought the program although I can't seem to get the push notifications to work...

with the SMS method or Yahoo! Push e-mail...

I love the program though, I'd say worth more like 10 dollars than 16.

Edit:

I got the Yahoo! Push to work, however not the SMS method :(

Could it be because I have t-mobile? I don't see what the difference would be if I use the right string xxxxx@tmomail.net any ideas?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Well I caved and bought it. Very slick app! I gave it 4 out of 5 stars in my review. If it was $9.99 it would have gotten 5 stars, but like I said earlier, $16 is a bit steep. I can't wait for push notification!

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Yes, but without Apple's Push Notification Service, that's a distant dream.

R-Fly

i'm just using email notification with the address used to reach my sms service (xxxxxxxxx@pcs.rogers.com) and i get instant sms any time someone messages me through the services i use (msn, aim, google chat). works fine as an alternative for now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.