Been debating upgrading my 2008 Macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aa909, Jul 13, 2012.

1. aa909 macrumors newbie

I have a 24" iMac 3.06 Ghz that's my main computer and runs great, and I use my 2008 macbook air (1.6 / 120 GB HD / 2GB) for surfing, streaming video, email, microsoft office and watching HD movies/shows. so I was debating the upgrade since my '08 Air does most of this well, yet in a frustrating manner. My main complaints were the '08 couldn't handle Lion (still running snow leopard) so no iCloud, battery life was down to about 2.5 hours, it would get very hot while streaming any videos (especially flash), and the fans would kick in very quickly and were annoyingly loud.

Today I picked up a new mid 2012 Air 13" 1.8/128 SSD/4GB and couldn't be happier. As a test, I've been streaming 2 flash videos for 20 minutes and the fans have yet to kick in full stream (barely audible), the SSD is incredibly fast and the overall performance is in the neighborhood of 3x the 2008 if not better. In addition to the speed I'm most pleased with how much cooler and quieter the 2012 runs, the noise and heat of the '08 had really become unbearable for the past year or so

the 2008 is now officially my 5 year old's "gaming" computer, PBS sprout games :)

2. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

So you had been debating upgrading your 2008 macbook air :rolleyes: Funny how missing one word can change a whole meaning.

Congrats on the purchase.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Early 2008 or late 2008? It makes a difference as the latter is capable of running Mountain Lion while the former isn't. If you are looking to keep it going a bit longer, consider getting a third party SSD for it. With an SSD, Lion or Mountain Lion should be fairly snappy.

4. aa909 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the early 2008, Rev 1.1. I didn't even bother installing Lion since the minimum requirements for lion were already pushing the limits of what the system could do and it seems happy running snow leopard. I did however upgrade the HD from 80GB to 120GB when the original drive failed last year.