Been having trouble with my MacBook Pro, should I bring it in? Minor drop damage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Dec 23, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Since the first day I got my 17" Unibody MacBook Pro I have had hinge issues, that started out with the hinge making cracking sounds, progressing to where the hinge got continually weaker (I cannot even touch the backside of the display without it nearly closing and it just feels weak.) I called Apple about this awhile ago and they said something to the tone of "Sure, we'll have a look, just bring it in when you get time,". I chose to wait until this issue got worse. Unfortunately a week after I called Apple I dropped the laptop. It was not very high (no more than 18") and in a protective sleeve (incase). I have pictures attached below of the (admittedly minor) damage. This drop did not make the hinge issue any worse but caused these two signs I believe Apple may void my warrantee for.
    1. Removable bottom is slightly uneven on both sides to the middle chassis.(Pictures)
    2. Trackpad click making a new sound. Its now more of a pop than a click.
    Do you think Apple will void my warrantee for this damage? Should I take it in?

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think you should take it in. ull never know if you dont. just explain the situation and im sure they'll try and help you. and remember calm but firm.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My nearest Apple store is almost 2 hours away. Just getting some opinion to prevent wasting all that time. Also how weak does Apple consider too weak?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well the late 08's and the early 09's had pretty loose hinges (Example) but i have noticed that they have gotten stiffer with the summer release. so if you got yours recently then i would say it's definitely a problem. if you got it when it first came out then compare it to the video above.

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

If that's the extent of the visible damage, I don't think you have much to worry about. I definitely wouldn't have known the computer was dropped just from those pictures had you not told us. Now if there were a huge dent.....

Take it in as scheduled, but you don't need to volunteer that it was dropped. My guess is that they won't even notice the slight unevenness of the bottom panel. As long as there are no other obvious signs of abuse, you should be fine.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Mine is a mid 2009 stock model. It is slightly weaker than the hinge shown.

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Now the machine is not sleeping when the lid is closed. Is this a hinge problem or software?

8. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

The machine goes to sleep when the magnets of the display panels get in touch with the top case. If its not going to sleep it maybe that the drop the MBP received has made the display panel not to be flush with the top case. if that is the case then all the hinge and sleep problems will be attributed to the fall.

If the display panel is flush with the top case then it maybe something else. Just take it in to the apple store and they have a Service diagnostic specifically for those issues.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

This only started yesterday. The drop was nearly 3 months ago. Can they still be related?

10. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

well since it started yesterday, I cannot tell you very certainly if its related or not since I would have to see the laptop but it may be especially if your hinges are lose and are shifted slightly to the sides.

Another possibility is that you may have software problems or that another component inside your laptop is failing

11. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Just to shed some light on this situation; it is your hinge that is the problem. My friend had a similar incident. Nevertheless, he took it to the Apple store and they would not repair it because the warranty is now void.

You dropped your machine!

The gravity of the situation is you can try to tell them your story, however, it will most likely be to no avail. I wish you good luck though. Keep us posted on the outcome.

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

They have to proove that it was the drop that caused the problem if it's under warranty. That's the case in the UK I believe anyway.