Been pushing back a replacement since February...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thirdykal, Apr 10, 2010.

  1. thirdykal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #1
    So my motherboard on my mid-range '07 Macbook started dying again in Feb. The computer still works, but I got a replacement authorized by calling up Applecare. I decided to wait until the new MBPs came out to replace. I told them I'd have time for a paid upgrade in Hong Kong (I live in China where it is not offered) in April, but that date came and went with no Macbook Pros.

    I called them up and managed to push the replacement date back to "by mid-May", but they are getting impatient, even though my Applecare goes until August. Now with the recent rumors that only the 15" and the 17" will be updated have me worried. What if the 13" is updated a month or so after? I can't push the replacement back any further. The thing is, I was planning on getting a PC before I got a replacement authorized, as my Applecare is running out and my Macbook hasn't had the best track record. It also doesn't have a dedicated graphics card which is what I was really looking forward to.

    I don't really game on my Macbook because the GMA 950 is no good, so I mostly do just word processing, surfing the net, basic stuff, with some Logic Pro and iMovie sometimes. So my question is, come this Tuesday (if/when the new 15" and 17" WILL be out) should I be looking to get a current baseline 13" MBP for 200USD or a (hopefully i5) baseline 15" for 800USD?
     
  2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #2
    I don't follow the logic of waiting until new machines are released to get yours fixed. They're not going to give you a new computer.

    So basically you have been sitting around with a broken computer for no reason. Wouldn't it make more sense to get it fixed and use it until the new models come out?
     
  3. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #3
    "The computer still works, but I got a replacement authorized by calling up Applecare. I decided to wait until the new MBPs came out to replace." They already authorized the replacement, but I managed to push it back as opposed to an immediate replacement. Sorry for the block of text. Anyways, back to my question, $200 C2D 13" MBP or $800 i5 15" MBP?
     
  4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

    Kingcodez

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Location:
    China
    #4
    Get the low end, save your money, when the new books come out, sell your current and buy a new one. Price difference shouldn't be too much.
    If you wanna sit around with a broken computer until may then do it, but I'm not sure they'd just give you a new computer, (new gen).
     
  5. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #5
    Everything works on my old Macbook, apart from the ethernet port (but I use a wireless connection), which is why the motherboard needs to be replaced. There's no point to getting the 13" if I'm just gonna sell it within a couple weeks, I lose a couple hundred bucks for nothing. So my question is just which would you get? A C2D 13" for $200, or an i5 15" for $800?
     
  6. iMav macrumors 6502

    iMav

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #6
    Which form factor suits your needs? Personally, I love the 13.3" form factor.
     

Share This Page