Been searching eBay for a MacBook Pro pls check it out

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apasq, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Apasq, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

Apasq macrumors newbie

Hey guys so I'm hoping you can help. I know eBay can be very sketchy when purchasing something like this. However I'm hoping you can see my comparison and advise me. The seller has a 99.8 positive and the only negative was from way back when. It's a reseller if that makes sense I've been watching them and their laptops for months. It's a late 2011 15" pro 2.4 8gb and 750 Hd it has AppleCare (I checked it on apple site) until Jan 27 2015 for 1270$ shipped. There is similar referb from apple just 4gb and 500hd 1500 no apple care just the limited year warranty. I'm not worried about the ram or the Hd bc I can always get an external Hd and upgrade the ram however I def want apple care on any referb, correct? If for some reason the one on eBay has something wrong wont the apple care fix anything? And if something is wrong I would find out with in the 10 months left on it? I have heard of people having trouble with a referb from apple too so isn't it really a gamble any where you buy a referb why not have the apple care? I can't go over 1200 for this so that's the other thing. I believe to purchase apple care through Mac is $200 so that brings me to 1700. What do you guys think. Thanks very much in advance

2. Izaiah macrumors regular

Izaiah

Well, Feb 2014 has passed so that 2011 no longer has Applecare.

3. Apasq thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops typo it's actually Jan 27th 2015. I checked on apples site and that part is legit at least

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, my two cents worth is that I would never buy a computer from a seller on eBay; for peace of mind, I, personally would buy from an authorised Apple dealer.

Indeed, in this instance, the choice you ask us to offer an opinion on is between Apple and eBay. I would choose Apple and then add Applecare within a year - i.e. before the first anniversary of the date when you bought the computer, which will give you a further two years coverage.

5. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

6. Apasq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the advise. I didn't realize I would be able to add the apple care down the road and i would do it very close to the end of the warranty and be getting 3 years warranty that way. Does the limited warranty cover me for anything that can go wrong with it? Thank you again very much. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the eBay one