Been using damaged charger with my 2012 13" MBP and something bad happened

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helljumper, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Helljumper macrumors member

So the charger on my 2012 13" MacBook Pro has recently been on the fritz. The rubber protection has come off the edges of the cable due to wear and tear, to the point where I have to further bend it in weird angles just to get a charge. Recently, I pulled back the rubber casing of the cable even more around this damages part. It appears that there is an inner white core and around this is a bunch of silver threads wrapped around it (sorry if this is vague, I don't know too much about electronics). The silver threads have come apart near the end and this seems to be causing the problem. So lately, I have had to manually twist the silver threads around and push it into the edge in order to get a charge. Then I just don't move my charger or MacBook until it's fully charged. While annoying, this hasn't been a problem until now. Today I did this and my laptop got a charge for a second (indicator turned green) but then immediately my laptop shut off completely and wouldn't respond as I tried to power it back on (at this point, it had about 45% battery).

Eventually, it turned back on after I held the power button for a long time, but the fan is going haywire and the indicator says no battery is detected at all. The icon in the upper right shoes an empty battery with an X through it. At this point, I just shut down and now I'm hoping things will be back to normal in a few hours.

So I was wondering if anyone has an idea of specifically what kind of damage I did to my laptop by using this damaged charger, and how I can fix it? Thanks

2. Schranke, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

First of you should be really carefull using a damaged charger.
    When i start to see signs of wear in mine i get a role of electrician tape and make sure it will not get worse.

From what you tell it sounds like you might have blown your battery, in the worst case you might have damaged the logic board.
    What model do you have?
    EDIT: Ohh i see the model..
    Since you can change the battery in this model i might try that and see what happens.
    BUT, if you feel the least bit worry about this, bring in the mac to apple and let the do a diagnostic on it.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well I wouldn't bet on it, electronics don't have a good history of self-healing. Likely you have blown the charging control board but only a diagnostic run will tell, its not something we can guess at with any accuracy so you can do something about it.

4. iMacC2D, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017