Been using OS X for a few weeks now, but still a few questions:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lazyhound, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Lazyhound macrumors regular

    Jul 19, 2005
    1. How can I get OS X to emulate Windows behaviour for the Home/End keys?

    2. How get I get applications like TextEdit to use Canadian/UK orthography for the spellcheck?

    3. Is there anyway to get downloaded files to be saved to the left side of the desktop, while leaving mounted volumes on the right?

    4. Would someone care to recommend a simple, free MSPaint-like drawing program (other than GIMP)?

    5. Is there any way to switch tabs in Safari using the keyboard, or preferably, to get it to switch tabs like Firefox (Ctrl+#)?

    6. Is it possible to have the active window automatically come into focus when alt-tabbing to a program?

    7. Is there any way to enable Smooth Scrolling in Safari?

    8. Any way to reduce the space between icons in Finder?

    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

    May 2, 2005

    not sure about your other ones, but Command+shift+] goes to the tab to the right and Command+shift+[ goes to the left.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    ⌘-Shift-[ and ⌘-Shift-] (⌘-{ and ⌘-}).

    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

    Oddly, it's in System Preferences...->Appearance->Use smooth scrolling.

    When Finder is on top, press ⌘-J to bring up view options; you can shrink things and reduce text size and placement, but not just reduce spacing.
  4. untamedhysteria macrumors regular


    Jul 31, 2005
    there's a paint proggy in if you have already got one
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    One way I've found which I think does what you want is to go to anywhere you can type text (like a reply to this post). In the text entry area, right (or control) click and select "Spelling->Spelling...".

    In the resulting dialog, pick the "Canadian English" or "British English" dictionaries.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Well, a trivial way to do this - not really what you want - is to create a folder named, say Downloads, put it wherever you want, and use Safari's preferences to select that folder for downloads.
  7. jim. macrumors 6502

    Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    I think that spellcheck uses the dictionary specified by your language setting in OSX. Could be wrong, as I am guessing you are set to English/UK. Right? Edit: I guess not, jsw gave a good suggestion above.

    Seashore ! It is a little more advanced than MS Paint, but still good.

    This has already been addressed, but under keyboard settings you can actually set what keys will change tabs in Safari if you want. I have mine set to CMD-OPT-<arrow keys>.

    Wait, you mean like the old school CDE way of alt-tabbing? Not that I am aware of, but there may be an addon.

    Hope this helps a little.

  8. slimflem macrumors regular


    Sep 10, 2005
    This works on my PowerBook, not sure about a desktop with normal Apple keyboard.

    ⌘ + Left-Arrow = Home
    ⌘ + Right-Arrow = End

    ⌘ + Shift + Left-Arrow = select from cursor to home
    ⌘ + Shift + Right-Arrow = select from cursor to end

    fn + Up-Arrow = Page Up
    fn + Down-Arrow = Page Down

    Maybe that helps some.
  9. slimflem macrumors regular


    Sep 10, 2005
    Here are some more I just discovered and should be helpful as well. Some of these may just be Firefox...not sure.

    ⌘ + Up-Arrow = Take you all the way to the top
    ⌘ + Down-Arrow = Take you all the way to the bottom

    fn + ctrl + Up-Arrow = Move backwards thru tabs
    fn + ctrl + Down-Arrow = Move forwards thru tabs

    Also, in Finder, if you are arrowing thru items in a folder, pressing ⌘ + Down-Arrow will "launch"/open the item. I found that one the other night and thought it was very useful.
  10. mduser63 macrumors 68040


    Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    If you've got an iMac, iBook or Mac mini, you've got Appleworks, which has a basic paint program. If you've got a PowerBook or Power Mac, you've got GraphicConverter, which is a more advanced program, but still more simple than something like Photoshop or the Gimp.
  11. notjustjay macrumors 603


    Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind, but try this:

    Hit F9 to activate Expose, and then hit TAB repeatedly to cycle between apps and see their active windows (at regular size).

Share This Page