Been waiting for new MP, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, May 26, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Okay, I know this is all speculation, but what are you guys hoping for in the new Mac pro? Right now my late 2005 2.5 MP is the oldest apple in my house. I have been waiting it out for a new one. I am a video editor, only a side job though, plus creating music. Due to money I have been thinking about getting the best iMac but I like to open up a computer and add on. My 2005 is doing bad and I have done everything to keep it running. All my videos, pictures, music and everything else important is backed up. So like many i have been waiting for a new one to blow it out of the water. So I'm looking for rumors to keep me excited, but of course there is not much out there. Again I like the idea of an iMac but hate not being able to open it up with ease.
    How much life have you got out of your MP's? I really want intel too, revamp all my editing programs etc. Any cool rumors would be great.
    Thanks

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are no rumours with any substance. While it is logical to assume (based on past behaviour by Apple) they will be announced next Tuesday and be a minor update with newer processors and newer graphics cards as there is no new information it's all up in the air.

3. Deepshade macrumors regular

I'd rephrase that - they will (probably) be announced next (some) Tuesday (this year)

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Been waiting for new MP, what to expect?

32 cores, 4 processors, 32gb ram base (expandable to 1TB), room for 8 hard drives AND 3 optical drives, Blu-ray movie playback and supports crossfire and SLI.

Just a guess.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont forget LightPeak + SuperHigh Res!!!

but nah, divide everything you said by 2 and that seems roughly right.

6. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

The straight dope:

It will be 10% better performing, although the marketing will have us believe it is 50% faster--but look at history: new ones are ALWAYS about 10%-15% faster no matter what they say.

It will have one super neat feature, like a new case, that will seal the deal with buyers like you and me who love shiney new. Who can help themselves?

It will have one innovative new internal technology, like better cooling or a "turbo" for the processor. We'll all really like whatever this is, but it won't make as much real world difference as the hype would lead us to believe. But it will be better, even if just a little, and we'll want to buy it because it's always good to have better.

It will have one innovative new external technology, like esata or hdmi. Most people won't fully appreciate this until a year from when it comes out (like firewire 800).

It will loose something we all use regularly, like when they dropped DVI and firewire 400. We'll all moan, but in the end Apple will have been right (remember when they cut the floppy?).

As far as dates: I really thought it was going to by May 18. I suppose it could be May 25th, but I'd put money on June 7th over the 25th. Of course, brace yourself for later summer too. There have been reliable sounding (to me) speculation that we should expect it in August/Sept 2010.

Long story short: wait till June 7. If nothing happens and you need one now for work, don't feel bad about pulling the trigger then. If you can wait a bit longer than buckle your seatbelt and don't hold your breath.

7. telequest macrumors regular

I think I'd put money on June 7th over May 25th since May 25th was yesterday ... so unless it was an extremely silent update, it didn't happen!:eek:

Maybe someday Apple will do something really radical and release a product on a Wednesday instead of a Tuesday. That would be really thinking different(ly).

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Intel hasn't given Apple many upgrade options from the current configuration. Basically, they can upgrade one-for-one to Westmere. Pretty much the same except 6 cores/chip instead of 4 for about the same price. Depending on workload, it could be 50% faster (cache-contained) or 20% faster (heavy, memory-bandwidth-hogging throughput workload). Not a big upgrade from the previous model. However, coming from a CY 2005 MP, it would be a *huge* upgrade.

On the graphics side, there are some options for pretty substantial upgrades. It will be interesting to see how much they try to do with beefing up OpenCL capability. Whether or not this is worthwhile for most users depends on the Apps.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

;) Unfortunately, 32 cores is not likely ;) Intel's pricing for Beckton is putting it out of the running for anything except enterprise-class DBMS servers.

10. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

What about June 1?

Steve can get up give his updates on sales, and the opportunities for developers to get their software /apps on iPod, iPhone, and iPad... Going into "we have the best machines... last week we released a new 4/6/8/12 Mac Pro, some of the fastest pro machines we've made, starting at 1999.00 for the low-end, we have the best notebooks on the market the macbook pro with the i5/i7 processors super fast graphics, the stunning iMac, and macbook, the iPad revolution that has only just begun, and now, today we are bringing a new iPhone into the world."

Giving Steve a great way to pop into iPhone/OS 4.

... and one more thing...

iPhone OS early July,
    iPad OS released in September

(Well one can wish...)

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

lol, you little speech sounds very much like what Jobs would say. Though I be he'd throw in the word "magical" somewhere in there too :D

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

. . . . . . . the sound of crickets . . . . . . . .

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Firewire 400 has been long gone from the Mac Pro for some time.

14. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I can see an iMac Pro...aka: iMac with lightpeak and user replaceable HD/graphics.

As a person who does not mind the glossy, non-user replaceable screen, I would love a machine like this.

16. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Graphic and storage limits are the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on an iMac quad i5/i7.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, its the same with me. These are obviously among the biggest complaints for potential iMac buyers.

Personally, I'll be a little bit more forthcoming to the iMac if it at least had an SSD CTO option from Apple. I suppose I can live without adding a superior branded SSD myself, just as long as I can have SSD period.

Also, I'm not sure if there is room in there, but options for a second internal drive would be even more attractive to pros on the fence :D

18. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

4 Tb in an iMac would be nice! If there were only a graphics upgrade solution. Then it'd be a no brained for a lot of us.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup that would be pretty cool! leaves a lot more options open (RAID1, RAID0, SSD+HDD etc).