Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Yesterday night I spilled some beer on my macbook white(on the keyboard). I unplugged the cable 2 seconds after and the laptop turned off automatically(since I'm using it without a battery).

I placed it upside-down in a sealed plastic bag with a lot of rice inside. I wanted to leave it like that for 2-3 days.

However today I decided to open it to see how it looks inside.

A lot of dust+beer = a total mess. The notebook is still wet inside(on the motherboard and on the fan etc)

What do you recommend me to do now? I'm thinking to gently clean the dust, leave it another 24-48 hours to dry and finally to splash the keyboard and motherboard with some isopropylic alcohol.

Is this a good approach?

Any advices?

Thanks

cIqJksE.jpg
ucHie07.jpg

IJpz52U.jpg

Last edited:

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
The rice did very little (modern day old wives tale).

If I were you I'd completely remove the logic board and wash the whole thing in Isopropyl (do it in a well ventilated area).

You might be able to save it. The biggest casualty is likely to be the keyboard, they always suffer the most when it comes to spills.

To be honest, if this beer hasn't killed it, that dust was going to fairly soon anyway.

wizi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
The rice did very little (modern day old wives tale).

If I were you I'd completely remove the logic board and wash the whole thing in Isopropyl (do it in a well ventilated area).

You might be able to save it. The biggest casualty is likely to be the keyboard, they always suffer the most when it comes to spills.

To be honest, if this beer hasn't killed it, that dust was going to fairly soon anyway.

Ok, thak you for your answer.

Can I also clean the keyboard with Isopropyl?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You can clean the keyboard with Isopropyl but it is unlikely to help ! You cannot get at the bits you need to clean easily and it will have taken the bulk of the beer on board.

Chances are some of the keys won't work - but I would clean the logicboard and put it all back together. You may be able to switch it on with the keyboard and then take it from there.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.