Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
An example of my problem is that when I put Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, which is in four parts, into my itunes library, the fourth part is detached from the other three, and placed separately at the bottom of the music list.

It appears the problem is caused by the name of a soloist, being added in the fourth movement only, to the name of the conductor in the Artist column.

Any ideas about how I can return this piece of music to it's rightful place ? I've tried to drag it to the right place, but it bounces back to the bottom of the list.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In order to make albums sort together properly in iTunes, you have to have matching information on all tracks in the following fields:
Album
Album Artist
Sort Album
Sort Album Artist​

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Many thanks Miles, it's easy when you know how isn't it :)
I may have improperly assumed that you knew how to edit the tags, but needed to know which tags to edit. To edit the tags for an album, select all tracks of that album before you Command-I to Get Info. Then you can enter the data in those 4 tags one time and it will match exactly for all tracks of the album.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
I may have improperly assumed that you knew how to edit the tags, but needed to know which tags to edit. To edit the tags for an album, select all tracks of that album before you Command-I to Get Info. Then you can enter the data in those 4 tags one time and it will match exactly for all tracks of the album.

I've only had the Mac a few days, so it's safe to say I know very little about them. Thanks for your help it has made the subject very clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.