Beezid???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AFPoster, Feb 21, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Has anyone heard of this online bidding site? I guess it's like eBay but penny priced items. Apparently it's all the high tech, high value items selling for dirt cheap. Does this sound like a scam the way I think it does?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You have to pay a fee for each bid you place. So if you place a few bids and win the auction, great, you come out ahead. If you place a few bids and lose, you lost money. It's not really an auction, it's a lottery.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I can just imagine the shills that abound with that site.

I would suggest that you stay away.

Sure, they will highlight a "winner", just to suck you back in.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I saw that they give you 3 free bids when you sign up but everything I've seen is it takes well over 3 just to get the item. Avoiding this site seems like a rip off to me.

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

From what I've read, the key to site like this (Quibids is another) is that you should only bid on items you're willing to pay full price for. This is because if you lose an item (someone is willing to bid longer than you) you still have the opportunity to purchase the product at full retail price minus the cost of any bids you made on that item. So, even if you lose, you still get the item at regular retail price. If you win, you save a ton of money.

That's about all I know, never tried it myself.

6. ravendhi macrumors member

ravendhi

I admit, I got sucked in to Beezid... RUN AWAY!! You pay for every bid you place, and most items count down to 30 seconds and then start a timer sort of thing... but any time someone bids, the timer goes back to 30 seconds!! I've seen "30 second" auctions go on for hours.

You're better off saving the money you would spend on bid packs and just buying what you wanted off of Ebay or regular retail.

7. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Quibids does not have a fixed price for the buy-now program. If you go hunting around on their website, you will not find any page that formally defines the program. If you look at their auctions, you will not find a buy-now price listed. If you e-mail them a question asking how buy-now works, they will tell you there is no fixed buy-now price for an item. In short, there's no guarantee that you won't have to pay a significant premium to get a buy-now price.

If you think about it, Quibids really can't afford to have a lot of customers actually using their buy-now program. They would have to get a lot of product from someone. Who would sell them, say, Apple computers? Apple has no interest in creating grey-market product; Apple wants you to buy from them or a qualified retailer.

Another problem Quibids has: how are they dealing with the sales tax issue? With the buy-now program, they are essentially being a retailer. They must collect sales tax on items they retail for every state where they have a business presence. I see no mention of sales tax for any state on the Quibids website.

The problems with buy-now get bigger if lots of users use it. Quibids has to get more product. States start to notice a business that looks a lot like a retailer but isn't collecting any sales tax. Vendors like Apple start to get very unhappy with more customers buying from a retailer that has never ever been approved.

Finally, if you get a product from Quibids and it has a problem, how will you get service? Where are they getting their new computers from? Do they provide any service if a unit happens to be DOA? Will the local Apple store be willing to provide service? These essentially look like grey market product, and that could come back to bite you. Apple could trace back the source of product to Quibids and shut them down.

Perhaps much of this wouldn't matter to you if you're able to buy a 32GB WiFi iPad for $17.83. OTOH, if you are going to pay full retail for something, you are entitled to get that level of service on your purchase. Quibids cannot possibly deliver on the level of service that you would get by buying at an Apple Store or the other retailers. I cannot agree with your recommendation to use the Quibids buy-now program.

Even if you disagree with my recommendation, do not presume that the buy-now program won't add some significant markup above the retail price. And don't presume that the program will even exist tomorrow. If you want to try your luck on a gambling site, have at it. If you want to buy a product, go to a retailer.