Before buying a glossy display, Look into your I phone .

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

It's the same thing. It's just glass. I definitly see a reflection when there is bright light in the background. The trick is to focus beyond the glare. It's not that bad. If you are working out doors, then Glossy is horrid.

2. apple.gr macrumors regular

Glossy is a very good screen and unless you use your laptop only outside, glossy is the best way to go!

3. my2geldings macrumors member

You have the option between glossy and non glossy??

4. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Yes, when buying you can choose anti-glare. What that means is that Apple charge extra for not putting the sheet of glass in front of the screen. The MBP looses the protection of having tough glass in front of the soft screen, but the reflections that some people dislike don't happen. And the edges of the machine are then silver instead of black.

I personally don't think the reflections are too great a price to pay for having a screen which is invulnerable to scratches, unless you attack it with a diamond.

5. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on my iPhone most of the day and I have no issues

However, It does have a yellowish tinge to it. Does anyone have this problem with their glossy MBP?

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My 15" glossy Samsung 9CA4 panel has no yellow issue...or any other for that matter...it is BY FAR, the nicest brightest display I have ever owned and the colors, contrast and black level rival my Samsung Plasma and LED TV's...
    I couldn't be happier with this panel...:)

7. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Nope.
    My old style yet new glossy uMBP (bought 6 weeks ago) has the best screen I have ever seen on anything. It knocks my expensive 19inch PC monitor into a cocked hat.

I have even played the same movie at the same time on my costly 50inch TV and my 15inch MBP. I then lifted the macbook up and held it in my field of view, just under the TV so the screens were the same size. The MBP blew my TV out of the water.

9. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Just got the 17 inch glossy. I was a little worried about the glare, but the worry ended up being unfounded. I never even notice a glare and I really like the display much more than any antiglare I have ever had.

10. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Actually, i have way less problems with the glossy screen of my iPhone than the one i have on my MacBook Pro, the thing is that none of them bother me

11. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I would probably have gotten the matte display but Apple is charging WAY too much for it. I was a little scared the glare would bother me but I have been able to deal with it quite well so far.

12. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

it just sucks they charge €130 extra for leaving material away. guess they have a guy unscrew all of them manually afterwards or so.

13. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

haha all the anti-glare computers = glossy computers with the glass removed? wow

14. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

It's $50 for the antiglare treatment. And, it's *not* just the glossy display with the glass removed. It's a pretty high-tech anti-glare coating. I collect watches as another hobby, and issues with glare on watch dials are legendary. There's a couple of outfits which custom-coat watch crystals with antiglare coatings, it's far-more high tech than you might guess - multiple, nano-layer coatings with precisely controlled thickness to provide destructive wavefront cancellation at multiple wavelengths. Anyway, the charge for a single watch crystal is $50 + installation + shipping costs. IMHO, Apple is an absolute bargain charging just $50 for a professional-grade AG coating on their display.

15. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hiya mush,

Are you able to point me in the direction of some evidence for what you say?

As far as I know all apple do for anti-glare displays is remove the glass and pop an aluminium bezel in.

I'd be jolly interested to know that the process is different.

doris

16. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The glossy option comes with a regular glossy LCD under the glass (that probably has a glossy black antiglare film over it), and the matte option comes with the same exact LCD with matte film over it instead, and an aluminum bezel.

They don't just pull the glass off. You could purchase the aluminum bezel and swap the glass for it, but you'd still have a glossy LCD. I'd bet there's orange peel on the glossy LCD too...

Also what's this stuff about scratching LCDs? I've been using computers with LCDs for about as long as I've been using computers (15 years and going?) and I've never had a scratch on an LCD. That includes the time a disco bell fall and smashed all over my 22" cinema display.

Somehow my brother scratched his imac's LCD, but even then it's hard to detect.

17. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

18. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Just 15 years?

When you have been using them for a decent time Ill take your opinion on board :)

In the real world people do scratch their screens. All it takes is a sneeze and a careless wipe.

A glass screen IS a real boon to people who use their machines in the rough and tumble world that portable machines get exposed to.

doris

19. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

They definitely don't do this. Sorry to say without a direct source, but I've read enough and seen enough in the past to be 100% sure. If that's good enough for you :p.

20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We have both glossy and anti-glare here.. the glossy is definitely the superior experience, unfortunately I don't own that one, the gf has it.

22. cathy88 macrumors member

Can someone please teach me how to check what panel my macbook pro has?

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If your screen looks like a mirror when the computer is off, it's glossy. If your reflection is diffuse, it's not.