Before Christmas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donkey5600, Jul 17, 2008.

1. donkey5600 macrumors newbie

The funny thing is I am totally serious when I ask this......

If I wait ‘til there are no hassles (lines) does anyone here think I will be able to get a phone by Nov/Dec? I am an adult with perfect credit and will be a new AT&T customer (I wont be porting my #) so I wont be upgrading or dealing with some family plan. I honestly don't have the time to stand in line. I have real career and by the time I get off work its too late.

Unfortunately I am in Los Angeles where there is a minimum 2 - 3 hour wait in an ATT or Apple line. I wont even go there with ATT’s employees. I know they are getting overloaded but hanging up on me (and from it sound like other people) is a bit childish. Isn't that what they get paid to do? In this economy they are lucky to have a job.

Anyhow, any feedback on this would be great.

2. jdslow macrumors member

You can't even get into AT&T to place a direct fulfillment order? That is what I did, now I can just sit back and wait for them to call. It shouldn't be more than a week or two.

3. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

They honestly told me it would take 1-2 months if walked into the store and placed a direct order with them.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i feel ya man, i went to the apple store and they had a two hour wait, i was really surprised... I think within 2-3 weeks you should be able to get one no line... but who knows..

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

First of all most people in this economy have jobs...unemployment remains below 5%. Saying they are lucky to have a job isn't exactly accurate.

Second, you have AT&T stores that actually have iPhones to justify lines?
    Most AT&T stores ran out long ago and switched to taking orders for direct fulfillment. That's what I recommend you do...place an order rather than waiting in lines or waiting until there are no lines.

6. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they have them in the stores (1st come 1st serve) and yes, I asked for a direct fulfillment order. A direct fulfillment would take up to 8 weeks according to the person I spoke to. And yes, all people that are employed in this economy are lucky. Below 5%? What? I wont get into the politics here but are your numbers based on what you hear on the entertainment news channels like CNN and Fox?

7. nad8e macrumors regular

It's clearly frustrating to see many people who drive a car worth less than the value of the iphone or who don't have a job with an iphone. Completely insane in 2008 we have to go get in line to buy the latest piece of technology!

All of the iphone purchases could have been done online and direct mailed from Apple. I'd think porting and everything could have been automated based on end-user input on a website. How much more profitable would it have been for Apple to have min wage contract workers plugging in a phone to a dock for few minute automatic activation, then putting the phone in a UPS next day air box??? I'd think cheaper than having people getting pist standing in lines in a store. :confused:

I personally would have paid a $100 premium to have the thing ported and delivered next day air to my house! None of the taking a day off work to travel to a different city crap.

8. shadyInCA macrumors member

8 weeks is less than Nov/Dec. So YES!

9. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? 8 weeks is BS. Thats a little overboard. My regular cell phone is taking a dump. Wating 8 weeks so I can double my current cell phone plan just so I can be a smug iPhone tool is a bit much. Unlike many people...I actually get out of the basement LOL

10. shadyInCA macrumors member

I was just answering your question, can you get one before Nov/Dec. The answer is yes. Alternatively, if you go to an Apple store on Sunday, you'll probably only queue for less than an hour

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

In a month, things should've died down. I don't think there are any *normal* supply problems like there always are with new video game systems, so once the GOTTA HAVE IT GOTTA HAVE IT crowd gets theirs, you should be good. I may have some time to kill tomorrow, so I might take a trip to the Apple Store nearby and see if they have any just for s#%s and giggles.

12. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Psh, 1-2 months? We'll all be getting our Apple store credits by then from the next price drop.

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

hey donkey boy, you keep saying that you have a real career and all this and that, and that you get outta the basement.....well if you are so high and mighty why don't you just get a BB or pay someone to stand in line for you? i have a real career to, its called the Marine Corps and i have never had a basement but yet i happend to be able to get an iphone without waiting in line. so i guess what i am saying is why make a post like this if you are just going to put down everyone that replies to it...

14. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

AT&T told us that all direct-fulfillment orders would be handled before additional inventory was given to any AT&T store. If these stores are getting shipments of iPhones, then this sounds like that was not true. Or, you're referring to Apple stores getting shipments.

Either way, I was told last Friday that this coming Monday the phone I ordered would be in the store. Right now, its still backordered =/

15. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey oftheheavens, obviously you didn't read through the lines or get the joke. Read Mike2128's post and maybe you will get a chuckle....

16. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Answering you question and ignoring other things said here.

Donkey i think like some people said you should wait a month or two, so definitely before november.

If you cant wait, you can try overpaying for it on ebay or anyone who is selling it near you but lines will keep going for the next weeks, yesterday i saw a bid on ebay with more than 110 bids. If more than 50-60 is willing to pay an overpriced iphone imagine how many people is looking for it :S.

Wish you good luck thought.

17. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I would still order one if you don't want to wait in a line. It would be quicker than waiting for them to have them in stores without lines.

Ok, I was wrong...as of July 3rd it was 5.5% unemployment for June...according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics...a government agency. That accounts for people who are actively looking for work.
    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

18. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Haha he has a "real" career. Sorry we all have fake ones.

Anyways, just call them and have them ship it to you or pick it up in store either way you will have it before November. Analyst are also report that the shortage would only last until mid-August because Apple under estimated the demand. And Mr. Real career, you must be a smart man, if you have until Nov/Dec why not just wait.

19. fieldegl macrumors newbie

No offense Mr. Busy Career Guy.. but you probably could have waited in line and bought an iPhone in the amount of time you have spent on here trying to convince everyone that you aren't a nerd.

20. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Also he makes such arguments and he cant even wait 1-2 month for one, donkey if you have a life then ignore the iphone and get another one meanwhile.

21. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I didn't even notice this comment.

Ass.

Seems to me those of us who like to stay in our basements left our basements to stand in line and get our iPhones. We got ours meanwhile you're bitching about the wait and insulting people trying to give you advice.

22. Biscotti macrumors regular

I love you guys!

Except Mr. Too busy to go get an iphone havin', can't wait a few weeks lookin', doesnt stay in the basement, $500,000 a year makin; NBA allstar fakin', High and mighty on the horse ridin'.....

P.s Direct fullfillment should take are 2 weeks. Just do that... or wake up early this Saturday like me and wait on line...

23. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are all right. I apologize...as I type this message on my new iPhone.

Long wait....15 minutes at the Apple store.

BTW - I guess no one read through the lines...I was referring to AT&T store employees.

NBA? Huh? More like NFL brother...

Rate Thread
    If you like, you can add a score for this thread.
    6- Hilarious

24. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i would rather rate you...

1-stupid and full of ****

25. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I will rate him 1 too...