Before I bite the bullet on a MBP 2015

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacBH928, Nov 30, 2016.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

After a lot of thinking, the MBP 2015 '13 is cheaper, has ports, same speed, more reliable, and longer battery life.

Is there anything I should double consider before I do this?

1-I will order from Apple.com , I heard you can get better deals else where , is this true?
    2-I never bought a laptop online, are they safely packaged?
    3-There is an option to upgrade the CPU from 2.7 to 2.9GHz for $100, is this even worth it?
    4-The 512GB option will cost me a cool $1700 no taxes, am I missing something because this seems more expensive than a high end 2016 Windows Laptop.

5-Do they ship international?

2. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

If you find the one you want - buy it. There are a finite of number of these still in the sales pipeline. and given the new "Pro" laptops didn't get a warm reception I suspect the pipe is going to dry up pretty fast on these systems.
    The ones from Apple are packaged very well.
    No, I wouldn't spend $100 to get the slightly faster processor, I doubt you'd notice the difference.
    They are more expensive than a windows laptop, you'll have to get used to that.

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

If you're not buying refurbished, check B&H Photo. I've bought all my Macs online from Apple, never had one with a spec of damage even to the boxes. Very well packaged. And skip the upgrade on the processor. You will not feel the difference.

There are some very nice Windows laptops, but I still prefer the Mac. I was a VERY hard person to convert to Macs, but once I changed, I fell in love.

I don't think you can say the new ones are less reliable since theyt are only now hitting the market. That said, I had hoped to get a new one but once I saw the built-in limitations, I decided to spend a few bucks and update my 2012 MBP. Reality is, I still love it like when it was new. And there is still that "pride of ownership."

I wish I knew about international shipping, but that depends on who you buy through, and where you are. Good luck with your buy, regardless, and let us know what you get! It's always great fun to get a new Mac!!!

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I thought Apple still manufacture these? They have it as an option on their website, also I recall in they keynote they said they will keep them

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Are you in the USA?

I just picked up a 2015 MBPro 13" (8gb/256gb) from a New Jersey based seller "Electronics Valley" on ebay. They seem to get large batches of them and then "move them out" at prices equivalent to "refurbs", but these are new units shipped in white boxes (not the "cardboard color" boxes that refurbs come in). They sold just over 750 of these in a few days (currently sold out on this one). Price was 1,189. They previously were selling the 2015 8gb/128gb for 1,029.

Not all models are available at all times. You have to keep an eye on their ebay store to see what's in stock (such as they currently have the old "non-retina" MBPro for $793, pretty good pricing).

I'm wondering if Apple isn't using them to clean out older stock.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them, except as a paying customer.

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Indeed, I checked the B&H and they have the early 2015 model (This is the last model before the Touch Bar one right?) for $300 less and they even give you free Parallels 12. Am I missing something here? This is a lot cheaper than Apple's price?

7. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

No, you're not missing anything.Apple is only very rarely the best price. As to maker, they are limited in how they can mold their pricing so as not to undercut authorized dealers. IME, B&H seems to have a good reputation. Their AppleCare is less expensive as well.

8. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I have one more question,
    How can I identify the macbook early 2015 '13 model in the store?
    There also seems to be a mid-2015 '15 but no '13 ones, is this correct?

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The only way I know to identify a 2015 13" MBP in the store:
    1. Check the store display tag for specs & hope that it is correct.
    2. Ask the store sales staff and hope you are talking to someone that knows their products.
    3. Check the "About This Mac" if it is running.
    4. Check the specs on the box (probably the best).

Here is a link to everymac, it has details about all the MBP's.

10. Macislander macrumors newbie

I purchased a 2015 13" MacBook Pro Model # MF840LL early 2015 yesterday 4th Dec. I paid $1,274.00 with free shipping at B&H and no sales tax. 2.7Ghz, 8 gigs Ram, 256 flash, Intel 5 processor and MagSafe adapter. I didn't want the Parallels software so this is where I received an additional discount. Shipped out last night will arrive Thurs.