Before I buy a HDD - which have the most/least Time Machine probs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I read something like Lacie, WD-Mybook and some others were causing the majority of the problem. Aside from those, are there others to avoid?

An even better question is, what HDDs seem to be performing well with time machine? I am in the market for a HDD for this exclusive purpose. I could either assemble a HDD + a case, or buy a complete unit. Either is fine. I've been reading about it but info is a bit scattered.

Opinions?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Me too. No TM problems with my Seagate at all.

4. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

are these the 7200.11 type or can I go earlier?

5. cornerdealy macrumors regular

6. motownflip macrumors regular

7. EddieZ macrumors newbie

8. britpop macrumors member

I have a 500GB Lacie Porsche arriving tomorrow, I'll let you know

9. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

I have 2 Western Digital drives, and i love them. They run perfect. The MyBook is exceptionally fast

10. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I got a 250 GB Maxtor Onetouch II drive a couple of years ago and its erased all my files, had multiple b-tree faults , etc. Generally has been really unreliable.

Got a Western Digital MyBook Premium 500 GB a couple of months ago and its been a dream!

11. AndreaVac macrumors newbie

Same problems here with Maxtor Onetouch. I'll never buyfrom them again, it happened to me with two different Maxtor HDD.
    Now I'm happy with my Lacie Quadra... worth the money that it costs.

12. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I'm using a 500GB Seagate in an old Lacie enclosure.... Been working fine for me.

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I have Maxtor externals and I've been happy with them except for one thing, there is no on/off switch on them.

14. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I have been using a MyBook (WD) 320GB and have had no issues works perfectly. Time Machine had to reformat the drive from FAT32 but no issues. Works great

15. theman macrumors 6502a

same here, still can't figure out the on/off switch though... :eek:

16. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I don't believe for a second that the manufacturer is closely related to the problems. Lacie/WD probably makes the most popular drives (at least in sheer numbers), thus way more people will report problems with them.

If you are in the market for a dedicated TM drive, just decide how much you're prepared to pay and line up the candidates. The Drobo isn't playing in the same league as standard drive, but no matter which drive you choose, there will be people who tell you "It runs great!" as well as "Don't go anywhere near them, it's total crap!".

Well, I might as well join those people, I can confirm that at least my WD MyBook Studio is working great with TM ;)

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I started using a WD MyBook Studio 1 TB drive for Time Machine earlier this week. So far it is working well. It works better than the Maxtor 320GB drive it replaced, because every time I did something that would force the Maxtor to wake up I'd get the spinning beachball waiting for it. I don't have that problem with the WD (it does sleep, but waking again is near instantaneous it seems)

18. Draddy macrumors regular

Within 3 months, all of my lacie 1TB drives failed, 2 because of crappy maxtor drive issues, and 2 because the PSU literally fried the drives.

Since then I've bought my own enclosures, and put my own WD drives in them without any problem... with any software I use including time machine.

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I've been using a 250G AcomData E5 Series HD, and have had no problems with it. TM works great, and I had been using it for a year before I got TM with no problems.

O.T. Slightly, does anybody happen to know what brand of HD AcomData uses in their enclosures?

20. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

TM just copies files from one drive to another. Any drive that you can copy files on with no problems will work with TM just as well as any other.