Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I had a rather odd experience with Bill Me Later when I bought my iPod. I was told I didn't have to pay for 90 days. OK, sure, great. Until I start getting billed one month later.

I figured there must be some sort of fine print I didn't read, and I ended up just paying all the bills. So, what is the deal exactly? It would be nice if I could get an MBP without having to pay for 90 days, but I'm reluctant to do so after my previous experience. What's the truth behind Bill Me Later?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i think it's 90 days no interest, and also it has to do with how much you spend, you have to spend at least 250 to get the interest deals. I have it and use it too. but i just pay it off all the way.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well, my main question is, why did they start billing me so early?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I had a rather odd experience with Bill Me Later when I bought my iPod. I was told I didn't have to pay for 90 days. OK, sure, great. Until I start getting billed one month later.

I figured there must be some sort of fine print I didn't read, and I ended up just paying all the bills. So, what is the deal exactly? It would be nice if I could get an MBP without having to pay for 90 days, but I'm reluctant to do so after my previous experience. What's the truth behind Bill Me Later?

I would leave Bill me Later behind in the dust. If you already have good credit and a credit card, you don't need it. They will check your personal credit which means your Fico score will go down. By how much depends on your personal credit situation. Bill me later doesn't have very good interest rates beyond the 3 months, and you still are responsible for the acrued interest.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Stay AWAY from bill me later.
use VISA or AMEX for they will extend the apple care warranty for another yr. and you have more protection like " buyer's protection etc" compared to BML

Thanks for the advice ;)

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
K, thanks for the advice folks. I figured Bill me later was just a block of lead painted gold (looks good til you scratch the surface).

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
K, thanks for the advice folks. I figured Bill me later was just a block of lead painted gold (looks good til you scratch the surface).

exactly. good thing you asked first!
i used them before you know, and i got the no payments for 90 days on the flight that i bought.. i got billed during the 1st month and when i didn't pay it, the APR went to default.. great business right

Heather Fields

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008

Jwest,
I work for Bill Me Later and came across your postings. I would be happy to help you with this matter. Please feel free to contact me at heather.fields[at]billmelater.com.

Sincerely,
Heather Fields
Bill Me Later, Inc.
heather.fields[at]billmelater.com

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I used bill me later last year for a mbp purchase and it was no payment for 6 months. I paid it off in 3-4 months time and was fine.

Right now Im using preferred account for a mac pro purchase and its been 1 month and still have 5 more months left and only 900 more left to pay off.

So, so far no problems. I didnt know your credit score can dip because they check your credit report! Is this true or just an assumption?!? If its true no more more bill me later.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well now I'm getting conflicting reports. I'd rather not use Bill Me Later though, it's still too shady for me. Too much fine print I might miss.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
The offer was most likely no interest for 90 days, not no payments for 90 days, in which case you'd have to pay the minimum payment, much like on a credit card. Look for a credit card with anywhere from 6-15 months as a 0% introductory rate. Personally, I have the Amex Blue card and got 12 months at 0% APR on purchases. Needless to say, I put my new MacBook Pro on that card.

MascisMan

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
I would leave Bill me Later behind in the dust. If you already have good credit and a credit card, you don't need it. They will check your personal credit which means your Fico score will go down. By how much depends on your personal credit situation. Bill me later doesn't have very good interest rates beyond the 3 months, and you still are responsible for the acrued interest.

This isnt exactly true. When a creditor checks your score it creates an "inquiry" on your credit report. Inquiries generally remain on your report for 2 years before they fall off.

The only time this may damage your score is if you have a large volume of inquiries from various creditors (car dealerships, mortgages/banks, retailers, etc.). As long as your are not signing up for credit cards left and right and/or giving your information to car dealerships or banks (for loans) left and right, you should be fine.

At least this is how it was about 10 years ago (I used to work for one of the "big 3" credit bureaus here in the U.S.)

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The offer was most likely no interest for 90 days, not no payments for 90 days, in which case you'd have to pay the minimum payment, much like on a credit card. Look for a credit card with anywhere from 6-15 months as a 0% introductory rate. Personally, I have the Amex Blue card and got 12 months at 0% APR on purchases. Needless to say, I put my new MacBook Pro on that card.

it's no interest for 90 days.. BUT a big big BUT!

if you don't pay the whole amount after the 90 days..
you'll have to pay the INTEREST that started from the time you bought your laptop.
considering a 2000 plus purchase at 19.99 APR
you'll have incurred around $95 by day 91!

and i have to stress out that you're missing the Purchase protection by VISA and AMEX. basically it extends the standard apple warranty to 1 more yr.. so you have a total of 2 yrs!:)

if you have a decent credit card, i see no reason to go with Bill My _ss LAter!

you'll only add an additional inquiry to your credit report.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
here's the situation.. you're so eager to place your order for that MBP...
you tend to ignore the "very very small make my eyes squint so bad" fine print!

you got approved, you totally ignore the BML conditions..

and BML will make an inquiry to your Credit report..
but here's the bad thing, they don't report back..
unlike regular credit cards, that report back to the 3 credit bureas about your timely payment etc etc
so in short, it's not going to help your credit go up at all!

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Jwest,
I work for Bill Me Later and came across your postings. I would be happy to help you with this matter. Please feel free to contact me at heather.fields[at]billmelater.com.

Sincerely,
Heather Fields
Bill Me Later, Inc.
heather.fields[at]billmelater.com

THNKS but i don't think there's anything you can do anymore..
no offense, the company you worked for is not really on my " BUDDY LIST"
thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.