Before I Buy: Wirless Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
Hey guys. I am debating whether to keep my standard wired Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse or to go wireless. How is the performance of the wireless? Will I need to plug something into my USB 2 ports in the back of my iMac, like a receiver or something, or is the signal generated to the infared receiver on the front like the Apple remote? Also, does the wireless keyboard still have USB 1 ports on it?

S
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
Sobering said:
Hey guys. I am debating whether to keep my standard wired Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse or to go wireless. How is the performance of the wireless? Will I need to plug something into my USB 2 ports in the back of my iMac, like a receiver or something, or is the signal generated to the infared receiver on the front like the Apple remote? Also, does the wireless keyboard still have USB 1 ports on it?

S
I have the wireless keyboard and its performance is excellent. No problems whatsoever. I don't have the wireless MM, but from all accounts it's great as well.

No, you won't need to plug anything in - it's bluetooth.

No USB ports on the wireless keyboard.
 

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
Do you need batteries or anything? I'm sure I could Google this but frankly, I'm lazy :p.
 

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
1,692
28
Northern Ireland
As long as your iMac has Bluetooth then you won't have to plug any receiver into it, the bluetooth receiver will be inside the computer itself.

In terms of performance, I have a Power Mac G5 with a Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse and I have no issues whatsoever with performance, in fact I prefer the weight of the Wireless Mighty Mouse compared to the wired version.

If you want to ditch the wires, get the wireless Keyboard and Mouse. The performance will be excellent regardless of whether you go wired or wireless.
 

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
400
0
Baltimore, Maryland USA
xfiftyfour said:
Yes, you'll need batteries.
Anyone have any idea if the Applecare warranty covers the batteries? I have heard from several people that depending on how much you use your iPod, that after about a year, the batteries start not holding a charge. If that is not true, I would be interested in your thoughts. I am waiting for my refurb 60GB iPod Video to arrive and still wondering if I should buy the Applecare.
 

Gamdoan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
22
0
Vermillion, SD
KevKaos said:
Anyone have any idea if the Applecare warranty covers the batteries? I have heard from several people that depending on how much you use your iPod, that after about a year, the batteries start not holding a charge. If that is not true, I would be interested in your thoughts. I am waiting for my refurb 60GB iPod Video to arrive and still wondering if I should buy the Applecare.
Both the Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse use standard AA batteries. No need for a warranty. Just go to your local store and get new batteries.

They both accept rechargeable AA's as well.
 

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
1,814
6
Boise, Idaho
They both come out of the box with batteries as well, so you won't need to buy any to start with.

I bought the wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse for the office and they both work great. I think I'm going to get wireless for my home machine as well. :)
 

XyliX

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
13
0
How long does the batteries last? I am thinking of buying the wireless keyboard and mouse as well, but I don't want to buy new batteries every week.
 

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,050
4
Chicago
XyliX said:
How long does the batteries last? I am thinking of buying the wireless keyboard and mouse as well, but I don't want to buy new batteries every week.
Get rechargeables. They work great in my digital camera. Just make sure you get high-capacity batteries and a charger that turns itself off when it's done. Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/EVECHDCWOB-Compact-Charger-NiMH-NiCD/dp/B000F76QD8/sr=8-5/qid=1158854469/ref=sr_1_5/002-3084397-1277652?ie=UTF8&s=office-products

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rechargeable-AA-Batteries-4-pk/dp/B00000J47L/sr=8-2/qid=1158854469/ref=sr_1_2/002-3084397-1277652?ie=UTF8&s=photo
 

XyliX

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
13
0
lord patton said:
Thank you! I didn't think of that.
 

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,590
166
Washington, DC
XyliX said:
How long does the batteries last? I am thinking of buying the wireless keyboard and mouse as well, but I don't want to buy new batteries every week.
My experience with the original BT mouse is they last about 2 mos. Keyboard lasts a lot longer--6 mos. or more.
 

thewhitehart

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2005
918
111
The town without George Bailey
When the computer is asleep, is the bluetooth mouse consuming power? I'm wondering because I'm down two bars already, and the batteries have been in for less than a week and a half.

It may be the batteries, though, I found them sealed in a drawer, but who knows how old they are.

I keep my imac on all the time, it is mostly asleep though.