Before I consider buying a dock... (case related)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimothyB, Jul 26, 2008.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Just had a thought. I'm planning to get both a case for my iPhone 3G and I was going to consider a dock. Though, I imagine, with a case on the iPhone it would be impossible to fit in that exact shape of the dock.

Depending on the complexity of the case, it could be tiresome to be always removing the case just to dock at home.

Did many of you with the original iPhone that included the dock never use it because of the case you were using?

There's that invisible shield stuff, to protect the surface and probably wouldn't effect the dimensions of the phone, but I want something that can absorb impacts for accidental drops.

Maybe something like a leather type pouch with a flap, allowing you to use it and then close the flap to protect the screen, and as easy as sliding it out later at home for a dock. Right now I'm just using a leather case that came with my Garmin Nuvi, leather on the outside, soft on the inside, and covers 96% of the phone. But having to slide it out every time, I'm worrying I may drop it.

PS: Also, how to cases effect the many holders for cars? I hope to find some cradle that hold the phone both in landscape (for Turn by Turn GPS in the future) and portait mode, plus charge and possible fm transmitter. There's CarFM, which clamps (so cases shouldn't be a problem), and does all that, but not sure it can rotate to landscape.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I bought an InCase Slider for my first-gen iPhone because you can detach the bottom to use in the included dock. That doesn't help with most other dockable devices, but it allows you to use the one included.

I don't know about the car mounts deal, but I'd like to know as well. I'm trying to find one but it's hard to do so without shopping on the Internet at places you've never heard of.

3. AppleSpice macrumors member

For my first gen iPhone, I got a SENA leather pouch that I really liked. It had a clip on the back for attaching to your belt or pocket.

I used my dock every night. To me, it wasn't that much of a pain sliding it in and out. It was fairly easy with the case that I had, and I quite frequently was taking it in and out, I'm a frequent texter.

As for a car holder, I never used one so I wouldn't be of much help in this area.

4. mohicanspap macrumors regular

If you are worried about your iPhone not fitting into the iPhone dock you can always purchase Apples universal Dock. I have the universal dock and it does give you a lot of room for a bulky case.

5. thecellar macrumors regular

I bought the dock and have an incase rubber sleeve......have stopped using the dock ...I have to take it off every time, its easier to just plug it in.

6. MV ROB macrumors member

I just purchased the dual universal dock from Griffin for my two 16GB phones. My girlfriends is naked at the time and mine has a bulky silicone case on it. I put the adapter in one side for the iphone (first gen) and left the other one open without any adapters. Both phones fit perfectly and i am VERY pleased. My rubber case doesnt have any easy dock or anything of the sorts so its nice not having to take it off to fit it into the dock. $50 well spent

7. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I bought the soft touch case at ifrogz. It's a great case and the bottom comes off so you can fit it in the dock. Check it out.

www.ifrogz.com

8. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I looked at that site, they got a cool 50% off thing going on. I guess most will still work with a 3G? Unless the camera doesn't line up as good or something.

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

No. The iPhone 3G is wider and does not fit well in 1st gen cases. If you go to products you can get a list of the 3G cases available.

10. RFR79 macrumors member

I am currently using the Griffin Nu Form case with my 3G and love it. The bottom slides off and on the dock it goes to charge up. I also have the Invisible Shield on the front and no problems.

Check out Griffins website:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/devices/iphone

11. jerryh macrumors newbie

12. FJR macrumors regular

I've never really understood why people use docks that much. Unless I'm using the audio out of my 2G, I normally just plug it in. I don't have to worry about something knocking it over if its laying flat. Also, if you're just plugged in and you get a phone call, you don't have to undock to answer, which can be important if you're really low on charge.

Other than looking pretty, can someone explain to me why a dock is important?

13. dr2323 macrumors member

x2

14. DanielGibson1 macrumors member

Check out GRIFFIN's site, they have cases where the bottom slides off. I bought this one:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanform3g

I was happy to see them make somehting like this because on my ipod ( i had a touch) the case actually snapped in half from me taking it off every night. This was a great idea to make something easy like this.

15. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder the same now that I think more about it. I've never had an iPod or such apple device that needed a dock.

It just seems convenient with how often it needs to be charged. And takes up less space if standing vertical, compared to laying flat, plus better protection from scratching the back. Though, maybe it is pointless. At least on a wire, you can grab it and talk or use it while still charging, compared to having to undock it to use it. And of course putting it back on the dock only moments later means a whole new sync and backup, launching itunes.

One thing I could think of is that it will charge in the dock without my PC needing to be on during the hot summer over night. Right now, I have to constantly move my sync cable from my pc to an outlet depending on the situation. It would be nice to have one station that does it all. Though, might as well just buy a 2nd sync cable than a dock that uses your only one.

16. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

That one looks most promising, very simple and clean design. I take it that's kind of a real leather on the back, not just a textured plastic?

17. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a