Before I do this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by machacker, Mar 18, 2009.

1. machacker macrumors regular

ok. So before I do the beta upgrade I want to know what the bugs are so far.

Youtube doesn't work
    Battery life is bad
    ???

What else?

Also, how easy is it to downgrade again. I know you have to DFU, but is it hard?

thanks guys!

(and yes I know this is discussed in a 1000 other threads, but I can't find the information in one place....)

2. aames macrumors newbie

Downgrading is as far as I know impossible (DFU or otherwise) because the upgrade updates the baseband firmware and I know of no easy way to downgrade that.

Regarding the bugs, youtube seems to work if you upgrade but don't restore your own data). Then set it up as a new phone. Kind of a pain but fixed youtube for me.

Regarding battery life, doesn't seem too terrible to me.

3. Double J macrumors member

Why are so many people doing this who aren't developers? The risks are huge -- costs money for dev account, voids your warranty, may brick your phone, can't revert, can get into legal trouble for posting pics or talking about it, bugs bugs bugs (and more bugs), etc. And what's the big payoff? Just to say that you have it? Surely if you've been using your phone fine and dandy thus far, you can wait a few months for the official release.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I also don't see what the big hurry is. $99 for beta software. MMS doesn't work, so why?

I agree that it is so very tempting to do it but not being able to downgrade is something that I don't want to be a part of.

5. machacker thread starter macrumors regular

I went in part way with some people, so it wasn't that expensive.

I really like the idea of landscape texting and such. But I just want to make sure that it is worth it. I text and email a lot from my phone, and if those are laggy/unusable, then I don't want to upgrade.

6. odyssey924 macrumors regular

I'm running 3.0 right now on my iPhone 3G.

It has bugs.
    Apps crash.
    It has bugs.
    It freezes up.
    It has bugs.

Unless you are a developer and using it for development purposes, don't bother. It will screw up your device and there is no way to back out.

7. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Simple, it's a beta.

Don't install it on a primary device, only one that you can use to experiment with.

8. muledogus macrumors 6502

Yeah, just send me $99 for instructions on how to use your iPhone as a paperweight instead.

9. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

That's what make the beta fun!