Before I download iPhoto '11.......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Jan 6, 2011.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase iPhoto '11. Before I download it, I was wondering if the issue with it erasing all pics in the library has been fixed?

I seem to remember that it was necessary to install it, then do an update before you opened iPhoto. Is this still the norm, or has that issuer been fixed?

Thanks

2. oscarmacca macrumors member

I intend to download iPhoto '11 when I get home tonight.

I assume the version -9.1.1- has cured the bugs users were experiencing on release. Just make sure you do a full backup before downloading.:D

3. bzollinger, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

iPhoto 9 users out there....

I am wondering this as well. I'm about to dive into this long tread where there are a ton of people complaining about a bunch of other issues including the disappearing photo issue. Although I have to admit that this thread is confusing, seems like they are calling iPhoto 11 and iPhoto 9 the same thing.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1067730

Is iPhoto 11 really that bad? I'm using iPhoto 8 w/ over 12,000 photos with no real issues. I'd love some new features and enhancments but I don't want to start a crap-storm after paying $$ for a newer version.

thanks,
    Ben

4. oscarmacca macrumors member

I've just downloaded iPhoto '11 > 9.1.1 and it went flawlessly. 6000+ images transferred from my '08 library and iPhoto scanned the lot in 35 minutes.

£8.99..........++good!

5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Then there is this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1035598

Oh, and iPhoto '11 is acuatlly iPhoto 9.x.x.......

I figured that one out after reading the thread above. And I also figured out that I won't be upgrading. Sounds like there are too many problems and features missing.

How well can Aperature replace iPhoto? I use LR3 for all my photography work, but might be willing to get Aperature instead of iPhoto. Can it integrate with iTunes, iDVD, and other apps well?

Basically I like to get my 7D RAW work separate from my PS camera so my wife usually works in iPhoto, how would she fare in Aperature?

thanks,
    BZ

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've found iPhoto 11 to be much better that iPhoto 9. There are always those who have problems.

Copy the iPhoto library to make a backup before you upgrade. Just in case.

7. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Can you give us some examples of it is much better?

thanks,
    BZ

8. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

9. nOw2 macrumors regular

iLife '09 to iLife '11 was not really worth it in terms of cost for the extra features especially since I only use iPhoto, but at £8.99 it's a different situation. I upgraded just iPhoto last night and spent an hour or so using the new version. I'm very happy with it. Not a great deal of extra features, but enough to keep me happy.

It is also fast and stable. I can't fault it.
    No beachballs, no delays in use. This is an i7 iMac so one would expect that. I'll upgrade my iMac 2.0GHz C2D next week which may be a different story, but I doubt it.