Before I get a macbook pro, I need to know a few things.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morgothaod, Aug 30, 2009.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

1. On the $1100 Macbook Pro, can I play Quake Live with high frames per second?
    2. Can I play Quake Live without Windows?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it works on Macs.

It's also not very graphic heavy.

3. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

So it works on Leopard and it plays smoothly? Cause in another thread a guy told me this

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

5. omgwut macrumors 6502

Don't know what the hell that guy is talking about, 60 frames per second is butter smooth.

6. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

1. Apparently you can if the other guy was really getting 60fps.
    Thats quite fast!

2. I'm not sure if we're looking at the same Quake live but it seems you can play without windows(though for some reason its not working on my mac)

EDIT: woops, didn't see it was already answered.

Attached Files:

7. stormborn macrumors newbie

depends

Whether or not you can play Quake depends on if it's a Windows version or Mac version. I just bought my first Mac. I got the Macbook 15" with the integrated 9400m gpu and the 9600m discrete gpu. The 9400 is definitely enough to run it and for the older quakes, run very well. I can run World of Warcraft on medium settings without any issues, even in battlegrounds, which takes more power than Quake. If you need to, you can run Windows to play games in, which I did as well. Mac does a great job even if you want to run Windows on it. I downloaded the Win 7 RC and it works great...will work through next year for free as well. So there's an easy solution if you have probs with the game....or you can install Win XP on it. Anyways, it definitely has the power to run this stuff though I would suggest making sure you have 4 gigs of ram....not sure if it comes with that or not.

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I don't know what that guy is doing but quake live is not that graphics intensive and shouldn't cause the computer to heat up much at all. I would take what he said with a brick of salt because if he thinks 60fps is unplayable, he is in some other little dreamland.