Before I Jailbreak.. I got an ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by infam0uz, May 3, 2011.

1. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

I used TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH Blobs and The WHITE Iphone4 Im on has 4.3.1 and im not sure if im safe..

heres some info on the logs from tinyumbrella and i wanted to confirm it with you all to make sure im safe with this plan.. let me know before i get started.. thanks.

pic of log..

[​IMG]

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

Yes. It's correct. Whatever SHSH blobs you can save has nothing to do with what your device is running, but only what Apple is signing / sending out. Right now, it's only 4.3.2 and that's why you can only save that.

3. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

So this means i can jailbreak with 4.3.1? or i need to upgrade to 4.3.2 and jailbreak it.

sorry if im a bit confused.. just wanted to make sure i did the right thing.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

Yes. You can JB 4.3.1. Use Redsnow, but if something goes wrong and you need to do restore, you can only do it with 4.3.2. Even then, you can still use Redsnow to JB 4.3.2.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It depends on which jailbreak you choose. If you use Pwnagetool, which creates a custom firmware package that you restore using iTunes, you can upgrade to 4.3.2 and jailbreak at the same time. If you use RedSn0w or one of the other 'in place' jailbreaks, you just modify the firmware that is already on your phone.

I've always used Pwnagetool though to do a custom restore to jailbreak and haven't ever had any issues with that.

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

A custom firmware, pwnagetool, will not work. It requires a restore, and to do that with an old firmware, you need old saved SHSH files. The OP does not have saved 4.3.1 SHSH files so a custom 4.3.1 firmware won't work. Edit: You are talking about 4.3.2 custom firmware, it will work w/o SHSH blobs since Apple is currently signing 4.3.2 firmware.

Redsnow does not require restoring the firmware, but just adding the JB. Thus, it works on what the device is running.

7. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

I guess i can always upgrade to 4.3.2 and jailbreak it from there since it probably would be the best method to do this so i can restore easily. however if i do an update, do i need to download it thru apple or thru a custom firmware, if custom where can i find this at?

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

It's more easy to restore to 4.3.2 through Itunes, and then, run Redsnow to JB.

If you want go the custom 4.3.2 firmware, download the 4.3.2 official firmware (google), use pwnagetool (Mac) or Snowbreeze (Windows) and create the custom firmware file. Or, if you can get it from a trusted source, you can download the already made custom firmware file (google?). Then, restore with that custom firmware file through Itunes.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Don't upgrade through Apple..you'll lose the jailbreak until one is released for the new version. To upgrade and jailbreak using PwnageTool, download PwnageTool HERE (towards the bottom of the first entry, under mirrors). You'll also need to download the firmware for your specific device. HERE is a list of them. After you download both of these, open the Pwnagetool app and follow it's instructions. This is where the custom IPSW is "made."

When Pwnagetool is done making the custom firmware, it'll guide you through placing your phone in DFU mode (direct firmware upgrade/don't f$%# up mode). Then, you'll open iTunes to restore the firmware. When you go to restore, hold down the Alt/Option key and click Restore. You'll browse to the custom firmware (Pwnagetool puts it on the desktop by default) and click OK. Then just sit and wait for your phone to be restored. Let it restore from the backup when the software install is complete.

Of course, before you do any of this, backup and sync your phone first ;)

Edit: Just found THIS guide online.

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

The OP is not yet JB. Nothing to lose. Even if the OP restore to the Apple's 4.3.2 official firmware first, Redsnow has been updated to JB it. As I already stated, it's more easy to go this route, but a custom firmware is another more complicated option.

11. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Man so many options to pick.. do it with pwnagetool or redsn0w.

Honestly i like the redsn0w gui, more easier to use.

So RIGHT now im gonna attempt to jailbreak my iphone4 that is on 4.3.1 with redsn0w and im assuming if somthing goes wrong, i would have to restore it with 4.3.2 or i can restore with an custom 4.3.1 firmware back to 4.3.1

and id use pwnagetool if i were on 4.3.2

yall suggest this method..?

12. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

If something goes wrong, you can only go to 4.3.2, official or custom, since you don't have 4.3.1 SHSH blobs saved.
    There's really no reason to use Pwnagetool because 4.3.2 can still be JB with Redsnow. Most people use Pwnagetool to save their baseband = possible unlock. You phone already has a baseband that can't be unlock, so it's pointless to save the baseband by a using a custom firmware.

13. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Jailbreak went Successful - Used RedSn0w and only installed "Cydia" i didnt need the boot animations and the other junk listed.

So far no issues, lets just hope nothing goes wrong from now on.

14. infam0uz, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Trying to restore back to default, however i tried to restore with 4.3.2 and itunes is refusing to restore and i used tiny umbrella with tss server option on and its not going thru and gave me an error code of 1013.

suggestions?

its just stuck at the "Connect ur phone to itunes" Screen

im starting to get annoyed, tried to turn it off and its not doing anything but kept doing the screen thing. NOTHING IS RESTORING. :(

15. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

At this point you can only restore back to 4.3.3...again, the most recent firmware Apple hands out signatures for. A way around this would be to edit your HOSTS-file to point iTunes to Cydia where you have the SHSH blobs stored for 4.3.2 (meaning you can restore to 4.3.2)

Explanation is here: http://www.saurik.com/id/12

1. Switch it off
    2. Edit HOSTS-file
    3. Run redns0w using 4.3.2 or 4.3.3 (as 4.3.3 is still vulnerable)

16. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

I tried that, still no luck.

I do have the SHSH Blobs Saved for 4.3.2-4.3.3

Do i need to run the TSS Server in order to do this, if so i did that still no luck and still gives me an error of 1013 and the phone is on and its still telling me to connect to itunes.

17. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If you have SHSH blobs stored in Cydia the TSS-server isn't needed. Try opening TinyUmbrella, connect your iPhone and click the "Exit Recovery" button

18. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

I decided to post a screenie so you can get some idea what blobs i have,

[​IMG]

i did the exit recovery, it rebooted but its still doing that stupid itunes connecting crap.

19. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

ok, haven't had my morning espresso yet so a bit slow off the starting blocks :eek: The absolute easiest way for you right now is to remove anything related to gs.apple.com from your HOSTS-file, restore it to 4.3.3 and jailbreak w/ redsn0w.

Edit: beware, TinyUmbrella edits yr HOSTS-file by default sort of so close that down before you do the edit.

coffee break for me :p

20. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Finally got it to restore, its on 4.3.2 but i returned the phone anyway. Since i was gonna hold off for the 4S if that ever comes to att or iphone5.

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm kind of laughing at this thread because you went through all this trouble and now you're just going to return the phone. Did I miss something here?

22. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Wasnt that much trouble, Tinyumbrella or Itunes wouldnt let me restore it, so i decided to restore it so i could just wait for the new iphone 4s or iphone5 to come out, im not in a rush anyway. Im back on my 3GS

23. iFiend macrumors 65816

Fail.

24. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Explain to me why I would need TSS running when I'm not using my locally saved blobs and don't care for my baseband. Please.

Edit, tbh I'm not even sure what he was trying to accomplish with TU in the 1st place :p and I was all out of coffee