before i open the iMac 2.66ghz box...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by parkley, May 26, 2009.

1. parkley macrumors newbie

Hey guys... I just bought a 24in 2.66ghz model iMac. (My first mac.. :D )

I was wondering if this model was adequate enough for what i'm tying to do.

I'll be using CS4 Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Flash sometimes in one sitting.
    I'm also a Visual Studio developer by day, so i'll be using VMware Fusion sometimes as well.

In the future there may be some 3D graphics design work such as C4D and friends.

Before I open up the box... Does this model suite my needs? Oh would it better serve me to upgrade before I get things rolling.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah that will be more than adequate. dont let someone tell you otherwise

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The graphics card might be a limiting factor, as it is not a dedicated one like the 2.93 GHz model.
    You have a nVidia 9400m graphics card, the 2.93 has a GT120 (formerly known as 9600 GT I think).

For Photoshop and Flash it will suffice, but depending on your use of Cinema 4D, it could be slowing you dow, if you have complex scenes and such and need to work on schedule.

4. parkley thread starter macrumors newbie

cool... it wouldn't be nothing complex.... maybe some abstract artwork/imagery to fit a web layout... no animation as of yet

5. Shiner macrumors 6502

While I think you will be ok, I would recommend against that model imac. Take into consideration what you purchased. A mobile desktop with an integrated video card. Basically a laptop with a 24 inch screen. The programs you mentioned will run "adequately" on that machine but will actually be somewhat hindered by the actually specs you cannot modify. No discrete graphics is just a killer for any future proofing on that computer. At minimal buy the next step up with the mobile nvidia graphics card. You will thank me in the end. People on this forum tend to tell you to buy something to make themselves feel better about their purchase. My work bought me your exact model imac and I found it to be adequate when using CS4 but not great.

6. parkley thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...

so I should return this for basically a 2.93 or last model 2.8

7. Shiner macrumors 6502

Wow I just went to check the price difference and man I see why you are asking. $300 bucks for a graphics card and an almost undetectable processor bump. Not sure what I would advise. Really hard call to make. There is a refurbished one for $1549 that might be good. You are right at the price point where apple really sticks it you. Nothing to powerful but nothing to weak in this area at all.

8. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

go with a refurb if you are tight on cash or just buy the 2.93. the graphics and processor will be a huge improvement in performance

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I disagree with the ideas posted. I have the Abobe CS4 Creative Suite Pro and all the programs run just fine and I have the first generation Aluminum iMac. I have no issues running any of the CS4 programs. In fact all of them run faster and better than the CS3 versions.

10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The 2.4 will be more than fine. Remember that many people on this board are pretty hard-core when it comes to their required specs for the jobs they do, etc., but 2.4 will suffice and then some.

11. parkley thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear ya... but am I "future proofed"...

or is that something i shouldn't worry about with the iMac since its really "as is"

12. parkley thread starter macrumors newbie

thx! i'll keep what i have

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Don't worry, it'll be a great machine as long as you don't plan on gaming. For everything else, it'll rock. Although the graphics chip is integrated, its still about the best integrated graphics chip you can get

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

15. Shiner macrumors 6502

Well it is your computer and why not open it and go for it. Just remember in two years when you are complaining about lack of speed in snow leopard, that you came to the forums and asked for advice. You received both sides of the story and decided to go with integrated graphics. You are going to miss out on all the fun of the new operating system and you are going to be upset. I have seen so many people on this forum advise people to by the low end products without looking what else is out there. The refurbished mac I linked is a better product for the price. It is future proof for the next OS. The education promo starts today. That means you could get another $200 off your computer in the store or a new ipod. All I was saying was make sure you check every option when buying a computer like an imac. If you are ok with what you have then go for it. The posts you should be scared of are the ones that tell you how great things are running on their older model. Like I mentioned earlier, they are still trying to justify their purchase not yours. Apple has viscous price points and it does not take that much research to figure out the best bang for your buck.

16. parkley thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear ya.. I'm on both sides of the fence... and i truly won't know 4 myself ... until I open the box... but i'm waiting on the CS4 package to get here before I get to playing with it

So for all the people saying i'll be fine.. here's a question... what about video editing??

if I'm using something like premiere or after affects... at what point will i say THIS SUCKS!!!

17. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have the 2,4GHz MacBook with 4GB or RAM and the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU. On this machine Adobe CS4 runs very nice. You'll be fine, as the processor in your iMac is even a tad faster. For 3D work you might want to opt for at least the GeForce GT 120, though. And of course, the GT 130 would be an even better option, as that option will get you 512MB of video RAM.