Before i overclock the gpu...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamrawr, Jul 15, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

How do I know if my gpu is stable enough to overclock? What are the symptoms of instability? First time overclocking so any tips and pre-cautions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

If it's unstable it'll freeze or shut down.

Stable is if the overclock holds. My previous logic board couldn't hold the overclock with nvidia performance but it was fine with MSI Afterburner.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well if it does become unstable, you'll know about it, you'll either get a lot of artifacts (see below) or it simply won't work at all.

[​IMG]

I honestly don't recommend over clocking unless you 100% know what you're doing/what you're getting yourself into.

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If you need to ask than you shouldn't be doing it. Laptop GPUs run hot as it is without overclocking them; basically inviting disaster if you ask me.

5. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Yes I know it's gonna void the warranty if Apple ever finds out. I'm trying to do as much homework I can. :( would you recommend that get an experienced friend to do overclock it while I observe?

6. halprin macrumors newbie

How do you plan to overclock it?

7. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Software =) gonna research a good reliable one

8. r3voLoL macrumors member

Dude, I wouldn't overclock the GPU in a laptop. You'll start overheating with little if any increase in the performance of the GPU. And the fact that you void the warranty, and could melt the whole thing. The MBP already runs warm out of the box.

Bad idea, but do what you want I guess....

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

The computer is going to shut down long before the GPU is going to melt...

The only issue is that the increased heat will force the computer to throttle down, and you'll wind up with decreased performance anyways.

Try Nvidia's System Tools, it removes the underclocking, but don't expect it to do wonders for you.

10. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

All right then. I'll take it into consideration. Thanks :)

11. PurpleShaman macrumors member

highly suggest AGAINST oc'ing ur MPB. i had an ASUS F3 and overclocked the hell out of that thing. After 2.5-3 years of abuse (occasional gaming/oc'ing) that thing's GPU is completely done and im running it off an external with the graphics card shut off...not worth it esp. considering the $ ur goin to put in your MPB.

12. Jottle macrumors 6502

How would Apple ever know you overclocked the gpu? If it's software based, you're in the clear. Even if your gpu burns itself out from overclocking, apple couldn't prove you were pushing it past their underclocked limits.

13. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Yea I've read on some of that too. But I'm thinking that there is some way that they can find out, if they're clever enough

14. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Obviously you must be planning to do this on the Windows side? I overclocked my last laptop with a 9800m GTS as well as installing custom desktop grade drivers.

Thing ran smoking hot, but all gave smoking hot performance.

15. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I have JUST SLIGHTLY overclocked my 9400M using the nvidia tools in Windows 7 Ultimate. Anything higher and my computer shows a yellow screen with lines.
    I get about 2FPS better in most games.

I use my MacBook Pro on a cooling pad, connected to an external display.

I would not recommend OC'ing unless you plan on using a cooling pad, as that is my MBP's saving grace.

Also, be happy with what you have! I'd love to have your GPU, it's certianly a lot better than mine!

16. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Maybe if you don't use the external display you can get quite a few more frames =) I've decided not to oc it as of right now. I'm content with the 330m performance.

17. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have not over clocked in Mac, but in Windows I use Rivatuner. And yes, the computer will shut down or BSoD if the settings are set too high.