Before I purchase an iphone, I have some ?s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aims216, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Aims216 macrumors newbie

I have been reading up on all the posts and still have some questions.

I recently purchased an itouch (32gb) and hubby thought I should just return it and buy an iphone. I was on the fence, but leaning more towards it. I currently have At&T and have been out of contract for years. We are on the 700 min family plan for $69.99 which is way too much (about 500-1k min expire every month). Hubby has an old LG and I have an unbranded Nokia smartphone which still allows me to get the unlimited family data plan ($10 for each phone) and $30 family msg unlimited.

If I just get one iphone, what happens to the unlimited family data and unlimited msging plans? I assume I would have to get the iphone data plan, but could hubby just keep his $10 family data plan or does that go away?

I have read some complaints about the iphone4 vs iphone 3gs, and my friends say to just get the iphone 3gs. Have the iphone4 issues been resolved or any recs on which one to get?

So if I go and get an iphone for just me (I will give hubby the unbranded Nokia), I would like the unlimited plan for iphone but AT&T said although I do have family data unlimited plan it would not be grandfathered to the unlimited for an iphone. So I thought I would just do that trick to get the unlimited plan as outlined in another thread. BUT I dont have an iphone yet, so wouldn't they make me get one of the other plans at that point? Would I still be able to do the trick and get the unlimited after I have the iphone?

I will be using the phone for the obvious uses (talk, text, videos for my son) and I would love to be able to use skype to see my husband when he is deployed.

Any other things I may not realize once I have an iphone. Is it really worth the additional cost every month and getting into another 2 year contract with AT&T (although I dont mind AT&T, I just hate contracts. lol).

Thanks for any advice!

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm listening to an audiobook while typing this so I'll keep it short.
    Yes, the iPhone 4 is a much better phone than the 3GS, and the only glaring issue is the proximity sensor which will be fixed within a week.
    Yes, you will be able to use the trick to get the unlimited data, and yes your husband will be able to keep his @$10 a month, but it will not be unlimited oversees when he goes there.
    As to if it's worth the contract, that'd be up to you.

3. 184550 Guest

The only thing that will be different, as you stated, is the iPhone data plan. That will be the only thing that changes. Everything else will remain the same.

Also, since you mentioned your husband is in the military, have you looked into the type of discounts that ATT offers to active and retired military?

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

When I get married, I will make my wife sign an agreement that she will never refer to me as "Hubby" in any way, shape, or form.

5. tizzl10 macrumors regular

tizzl10

buddy, when you get married, your wife referring to you as "hubby" will be the LEAST of your problems.

6. Aims216 thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent, so basically it is just a 2 year agreement and an additional $20 to our bill (because I already pay $10 already, so just adding the $30 iphone).

I checked our acct and I appears that there was no real discount for military for which we already have a FAN 15% discount. I mean they had some refurb deals, but nothing great. Should I get the 8gb or 32gb (I think it was that listed). It is $199 vs $299. worth the extra cost?

Also any advantage of buying at the AT&T store, apple store or AT&T on-line? Just want to make sure I get one of the newer iphone4s. BTW- what model or #s should I be looking for?

and am I correct to assume that I can use skype so it shows hubbys (yes I said hubby. lol) face?

lol. My thoughts EXACTLY!

7. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Maybe one of the most truthful posts I've ever read around these parts! :D

8. qwertywerty macrumors newbie

I don't think skype supports video chat on the iphone. At least not yet.

9. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

+1

You win the Internet today

10. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

sorry to topic steal but can i use my debit card to buy my iphone at the apple store?

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

She's talking about skype international voice calling mi amigo :)

yes

12. qwertywerty macrumors newbie

"and am I correct to assume that I can use skype so it shows hubbys (yes I said hubby. lol) face?"

:confused:
    You can do that...just not on your iphone.

13. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Considering the array other names that are available, you may, ultimately, prefer "hubby."

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Spoken like a true veteran of the married mans world. I respect you, sir.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The messaging plan should be fine, but I'm not sure about the family data plan, if it's a big deal the extra $15 a month you might want to stick with the iPod touch, though you should take it back and get the new version coming out next week, it's just like the iPhone 4 with retina display and FaceTime.

16. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

The least of hers too, very likely! LMAO!!!!

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No, it isn't that much better at all imo

18. shandyman Suspended

correct, hopefully it will soon, but bearing in mind it took skype a year to implement push notifications, we can expect it when iPhone 5 is released!! for now i use fring to video chat to my friends with other non-iPhone handsets. not as great quality as facetime, but it works for now