Before I set it up, what's the thing that I shouldn't do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 25, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

I'm gonna receive it next week, and I know a bunch of people had trouble with the set up. From what I read the problem is with something called FireWire? (Don't know what that is and don't remember seeing that option in set up)

Basically, I'm simply going to set it up as a new Mac (no restore) and add my Apple ID to set up iCloud. Is that ok? Am I going to **** up the computer? Is there something I should be careful for?

2. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

The area where some people have had trouble during initial setup is with FileVault (not FireWire).The only trouble, I believe, is that it took a long time to process that step on some people's machines. If you're willing to wait for 15-30 minutes, it'll probably be just fine. It seems like that's how long it took most people's computers to get past that step if they hung and delayed. FileVault is a hard-drive encryption protocol offered by Apple to secure all the data on your hard-drive (in case it gets lost or stolen... people can't read the data.) It's optional, so if you want you can bypass that step during setup and do it later (or not at all.)

Also, some people have noticed that not connecting to WiFi during setup has helped them avoid hangs or delays.

As for me, I connected to WiFi, enabled FileVault, and had zero problems during setup. It went quick and easy. I did what you plan to, and set it up as a brand new computer, no restore, and then logged into iCloud to sync data. Zero issues, and everything works great! Good luck! You can't really screw it up. You'll love it.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Somewhere on the apple site it suggests you don't turn on wifi until after setup

4. KPOM macrumors G5

What you are thinking of is File Vault. That's the standard disk encryption. Occasionally it is causing the Mac to freeze up for about 30 minutes during setup. One way to avoid that happening is NOT to sign onto iCloud and turn off wi-fi during initial setup. That seems to avoid the problem. Once it is set up, I'd actually recommend setting up File Vault (you can do that through System Settings > Security) since it prevents someone from reading your files if you ever lose your Mac.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You don't need to look for anything actually. Just set up the computer as normal.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

do not connect to the internet during set up. If you set it up offline initially everything will work properly and the whole process will take under 5 minutes. If you select a wifi network, get ready for the beachball.

----------

this. It is actually on the apple website.