Before i spend.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darrenyo, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Darrenyo macrumors member

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You may want to check out newegg.com for some lower prices, as those seem a little high

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have the 3rd HDD and was not really satisfied with it as my main drive. I now use it in an FW800 enclosure to store my data on. If you don't need 750GB and can live with 500GB, get the Momentus XT, according to many threads on here and anywhere else, it really propels your system.

As I recently switched to an SSD in my MBP, I can't really recommend an HDD as system drive anymore though, as I currently sit on my iMac and it is so damn slow compared to that SSD (Vertex 2 60GB), but that is just that new toy love speaking.

4. Darrenyo thread starter macrumors member

Am outside the US so i can't buy from newegg as they won't deliver to me.

5. Darrenyo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice :)

Would really love an SSD myself but for the money there going for at the moment i just can't afford it.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I got the Vertex 2 60GB for 103.90 €, and as it has quite a low capacity, putting the 500GB HDD (Momentus) into that external FW800 enclosure does work quite well. But as I got the 17" MBP I don't notice the extra HDD I have to take with me anyway.

Btw, to quote someone, just press the [​IMG] button.

To quote several posts, use the [​IMG] button (multi-quote).

To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

7. Darrenyo thread starter macrumors member

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems that way, as it has 4GB of flash memory and you will experience a speed boost with common applications and files after a while.

9. Darrenyo thread starter macrumors member

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I got the Momentus XT Hybrid about a week ago, must faster startup times. Mine is fully booted in about 20 seconds. I've noticed for files I open all the time they come up faster too. The temps seem the same as my original HD, the only difference I can tell is a little more vibration where my left hand rests above the drive. The vibration isn't bothersome, I can just feel where the original 5400 RPM had no detectable vibration. Nice drive so far.