Before I start-

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jer446, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I am about to start editing my first video with people in it- usually i get clips and compose a documentary type thing. Before i start, does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with the video or audio before i begin editing? Maybe make the audio sound a little better, change the color of the video etc. Anything you guys do before you edit a video. I edit with imovie.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

First off, leave audio/video cleanup and correction until AFTER you have a final cut. Do all your cutting beforehand, then correct the final version. If you correct all the original footage, you're going to have a HUGE amount of encoding to do. Better to wait until you know which parts of the original footage you're using, then encode those parts. I'm not so familiar with how iMovie does its color corrections and such, but I know standard editing programs let you do this.

Second, when I cut my documentary, I made transcriptions of all the interviews. That means sitting down and listening to what they're saying, and typing it (or writing it, if you prefer). This saved me and my peers lots of time, because instead of going through and listening to each interview over and over, we could read through a script and pick out stuff from there. I'm not sure what the magnitude of your project is, so this may not be neccessary, but if you're going to wade through 3 or more 30+ minute interviews, this is a good idea. Just a suggestion for ya

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no its not a serious video at all- I just wanted to know if there was something that would help my video out in any way- The interviews are short like 10 seconds each.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Ah, I see. Nevermind that second part then ;)

Well as far as cleaning up picture and sound for something quick, iMovie might have color correction built in as an effect you can apply to the image. Generally boosting the contrast and saturation a tad can make anything look better. Sound is a bit harder to get at. Not sure if iMovie does sound really.