Before I take it all apart ..... re internal sizes.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 2, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    To cut a long story short, I now have 3 eMacs as listed below....
    1 ... 800 MHz - CD drive - 40 gig Hard drive - 768 RAM - Internally busted so no image on screen.
    2 ... 800 MHz - CD drive - 60 gig Hard drive - 768 mb RAM - Panther - Works fine
    3 ... 1000 MHz - Superdrive - 80 gig HD - 640 mb RAM - Tiger - Awful looking case - Works fine.

I also have a suitable 512 mb RAM chip. I plan to use the RAM from the busted one and the spare chip to max out the two working eMacs and fit Airport extreme cards but it's the case I need a bit of help with.
    The faster of the eMacs was used in an office and is full of stickers. It also has several gouges out of it and even big globs of paint. (Luckily there are none near the fan area or on the front) I was toying with the idea of removing the rear case of the duff eMac which is fantastically clean and swapping it with this rear cover from HELL. The only snag is that, being different models, will it fit? Are the screw holes the same? Do the switches and sockets all line up?
    Does anybody know?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I guess nobody knows for sure.
    No worries.
    I'll try it for myself and let you know.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The 1Ghz eMac has an ati graphics external display port, the 800Mhz eMacs may be earlier nvidia graphics models without it, and might have a slightly different case, but its not likely to be a crippling issue. Take pictures and become a star. :cool:

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Steve - one of the best things you can do in respect of your eMac assortment is to Google and YouTube for pics and vids (I went through the exercise not so long ago). Here's an example:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eMac+site:lowendmac.com
    AFAIK, the eMac casing was standard, but a letter or email to Apple, or your nearest Apple centre, should elicit the correct response to that question.

And you've got the link I sent you for the eMac manual. There was only one of those, so it suggests that the eMac casing was the same for all models barring - maybe - the very last one, the 1.42 GHz.

5. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

I am still gathering info for this job in the few spare minutes I have each day between fitting some shelves and painting a bedroom for 'er indoors.
    I have viewed dozens of video clips on Youtube and scoured lots of Mac sites, both the usual and the not so usual. Nowhere have I found any indication that they are the same but, nothing that says they are different either.
    By good chance, the 800 MHz version i8s the later type with the ATI graphics so that's a plus.
    Write direct to Apple, huh?
    Now there's an idea I didn't think of. I'll do that now.
    When I actually get to doing the job, I'll take lots of pix and post on my own site (yet to be built) :eek:
    Cheers, m'dears.
    Steve

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

So according to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP98

It looks like you should be okay.

I've taken apart a fair share of eMacs. And I don't remember there being much difference... except when the 1.25 GHz models came out... As far as I remember anyway.