? before I upgrade...(or should I?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Penelope636, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Penelope636 macrumors member

I have a G4 tower, and presently running 10.3.

Below is some info:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.7)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 350 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1
    Serial Number: 0B951999HLA

Have 4 memory slots with one empty

Presently have Quark 4.11 which runs on Classic, and I
    need to be able to convert some Quark Files to pdf, which cannot do with 4.11.

Is my machine capable of doing this IF I upgrade and get a newer version of Quark?

Need the safest and most cost effective way of doing this...

Thank You,
    Penny

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Your machine is almost ten years old and is rapidly becoming obsolete for work like this. Your cost-effective options include:

1. Printing direct to PDF through OSX. Unreliable and unsuitable for files for press. Free.

2. Finding a cheap eBay second-hand version of Acrobat (Pro) versions 5 or 6 and using Quark to output Postscript files through Acrobat Distiller to produce PDFs. Best option, but needs familiarity with Distiller and Quark. Avoids problems of Quark upgrade.

3. QuarkXpress 6 (runs natively on OS 10.3) has direct if unreliable PDF output but will only save Quark files as 6 and 5 versions. These files are not openable in QuarkXpress 4.​

QuarkXpress 7 needs a minimum of OS X Tiger, a G5 and 1Gb of available RAM (2Gb recommended). Quark 8 is out of the question on your machine.

What are the PDFs for? Press, web etc?

3. Penelope636 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Blue Velvet,

I have to spend some time to digest what you have written...

Have a 10 pg tutorial which I want to post ...with lots of picts, and need to be able to put it in pdf format to submit it and for it to be downloaded.

Penny

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you need a hand, I can make a PDF for you which will get you past this project. Please PM me for details if you like. :)