Before installing blank ssd HD, insert dvd Install disk or after?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I am going to install a new SSD drive on my MBP mid-2009. After it is installed, can I then start up computer and then insert the DVD Install operating system disk, or do I install the DVD install disk, then shut down computer and swap the HD drive?
    I know that I will reformat the disk when Installer begins, but I want to know if the computer will recognize the install disk with a new blank HD in place.
    Thanks

2. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

Yes, that will work fine. When booting up your MBP, press and hold the c key for it to boot from the DVD.

3. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

so install dvd before shutting down to install hd?

So it is ok to install the DVD Install disk, then shut down and replace HD?

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why do you want to "Install" the OS from the DVD and then remove the HDD when you will be replacing it with the SSD? :confused:
    That makes no sense at all.
    The OS doesn't get written to some magical space on your Mac… ;)

Just do as OldMike already suggested.
    1. Physically install the SSD.
    2. Boot up your MBP with the OS DVD while holding down the C key…
    3. If the SSD is installed correctly the OS installation will find it and use it.

5. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

I don't think anyone understood the OP's question - which was, do you have to insert the Mac OS DVD into the optical drive before it's powered down to swap out the HDD for an SSD (assuming the concern is that a slot loading drive cannot mechanically take a disc in while booting before it even starts to look for the OS).

The answer is no - you don't have to insert the DVD before hand, but it may be more convenient if you do (this way you can just power it on and hold down the 'C' key since the disc is already in there).

Or, you can just go ahead and swap out the drives, flip the Macbook over, insert the DVD in the slot half way while the MacBook is off. Power on the Macbook, hold down the 'C' key then after you hear the Mac chime, gently push the DVD into the optical drive the rest of the way.

Either way is fine.

6. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

This is exactly the way I did it on my brothers. It worked fine

7. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Job done.

thanks for the tips. I removed HD, then installed the ssd, then turned computer qnd waited for Folder fiwth ?, then inserted dvd of OS. FIrst time the operating system failed to install after 15 minutes, but second time it succeeded.
    so far everything is fine.
    Thanks you all

8. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502