Before selling mac mini - zero out hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ymarker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ymarker macrumors member

I'm selling my beloved mac mini 2009 intel c2d 2ghz with 4gb ram and nvidia geforce 9400 and was wondering what steps to take before listing it.

--Using disk util to zero out hdd. I don't think I need to do the 37x military grade wipe. :)
    --Reinstall mac osx 10.6
    --Update to 10.6.6
    --reset password for new user

Anything else? Also any advice where to list? Ebay's fees are atrocious these days but it gets great traffic. Wish there was a classified section here I could list. Thoughts anyone?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is it's called Marketplace.

B

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Like me, his post count prohibits him from seeing that forum or posting in the politics, religion and trolling tea baggers forum.

Spam away OP.

4. ymarker thread starter macrumors member

My post count is 58 looks like, but I've been on this forum atleast since I bought the mini (2009). That sucks, looks like ebay it is.

5. ymarker thread starter macrumors member

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Just sold mine, exact same model (minus your SSD). How much did you get for yours?

Before erasing, remember to deauthorize from that computer any apps like iTunes or Adobe CS.

I zeroed out mine with a 7x pass, then a clean install of Leopard (from original disks). I had to setup new pseudo user to demo machine's working order. All in all, a fairly painless process.