Before Snow Leopard will come out, how will I notice the difference in GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Oct 15, 2008.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Just wondering who will benefit - before the introduction of Snow Leopard next summer - from the super GPU's in the new MBP. Is there ANY task other than video editing or gaming that will benefit from it? I don't game and video edit. Will e.g. iPhoto be more snappy? It's hanging like crazy whenever I use it.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Super GPU?

Kekeke.

If you don't game and you don't do video editing...I assume you probably won't be using photoshop...wow you really won't benefit at all. The Macbook Consumer (i.e. the macbook) will serve you well. The Macbook Consumer Extreme (eg the Macbook pro) can utilize the extra horse power in gaming and highly graphical applications.

Snow Leopard "MAY" introduce the Hybrid SLI (read: Dual at the same time) mode but even then, the 9600m GT shouldn't need any help from an even lamer card such as the 9400.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Unfortunately I need the bigger screen and can also benefit from the extra oomph of the CPU of the MBP. If I'd be happy with less processing power and a 13 inch screen I'd gladly buy the MBAir, since I never use an optical drive anyway.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You are getting it backwards. One of the key things is grand central which allows you to offload tasks from the CPU to the GPU. so lets say you are encoding some movie from a dvd. Instead of finding out that your CPU is being hogged by the process and not being able to do anything, the task might be offloaded to the GPU so you can continue using your laptop normally.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Super GPU? It's a minor step up from the old cards.