Before the new phone, how do I organize my contacts???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WoodrowCall, Sep 21, 2015.

1. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Ok, I've been an iPhone user for years, but my contacts are a mess! How does everyone manage and sort theirs? Does anyone actually use iCloud.com to enter them? When I enter them from my phone, what account is being used? In Settings, what is the difference between On my iPhone and iCloud? Does anyone have this worked out? I'd love to start life with my 6S Plus a little more organized. Anyone???

2. mblogsd macrumors member

The difference between On my iPhone and iCloud is exactly that. They'll either be stored locally or on iCloud. I find it easiest to organize them on iCloud.com if you have them all on iCloud rather than On my iPhone.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I store them all using iCloud. Contacts, email, calendar. I use it for everything. I have a personal gmail account that I forward to iCloud so I get push emails.

5. WoodrowCall thread starter macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

So, to clarify, I am best-served by choosing iCloud as my default database for Contacts, and then, if I add a Contact on my phone, it'll go straight to iCloud?

6. mblogsd macrumors member

Correct.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yes sir. If you have a mac or other apple device the contact will be automatically sent to those devices. You can also go to iCloud.com and access the contacts that way.

If you ever decide to switch to an android, you can easily export the contacts from iCloud.com to a "vcard" that is easily important into google contacts.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Except if you, like me, use PowerPC Macs running Leopard 10.5.8. There is no iCloud integration and anything you can get Address Book to interact with is one way. There's a third party app that will do this, but it's third party and doesn't play nice with system integration.

OP. I use Google for my contacts. Simple, goes to any iDevice and I don't have to export vcards to get it on to an Android device either. It also works with Address Book on PowerPC Macs. Still.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Yes, you should get the Contacts that are "On my iPhone" over to your iCloud account (if that's your main contact syncing account).

You can use one of several free iOS apps for this (exporting to vCard), I'm pretty sure. Get one of those apps, turn off your iCloud contact syncing, export your contacts (by emailing the vCard to yourself), import the vCard into iCloud contacts (web), delete all the contacts that are "On my iPhone" from your iPhone, then turn your iCloud contact syncing back on. You won't have contacts "On my iPhone" anymore.