Before upgrading OSX, how can I tell if current software will work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GhostMac24, Feb 26, 2014.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I have one iMac running 10.6.8 that i bought when 10.7 was released but wasn't installed on my computer. I have been hesitant over the last 2 years to upgrade to 10.7, 10.8 and now 10.9 fearing that some of the programs on my computer will not work on the new OSX. How can I tell what will and won't work? Is there a central repository that lists what software will/will not work when you upgrade?

I'm perfectly fine with sticking with 10.6.8 but also realize that at some point this won't be supporting by Apple in any way.

Thanks for an advice in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look at your apps and see what the vendors have to say. The newer the app the more likely it will work.

3. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I figured that was the "best" source but contacting all the various software titles to verify compatibility will be a bit tedious. I have no problem doing that but was hoping there was a better way to verify. Didn't know if there was a website(s) that listed various applications, an Apple or 3rd party application that could be run on the computer to test apps before upgrade, etc.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

[[ Before upgrading OSX, how can I tell if current software will work? ]]

I can think of three things to try:

1. Tell us what software you are worried about, including the version number.

2. Do this (works only if you have Spotlight turned on):
    a. Open Apple System Profiler
    b. Under "Software" (lower right), click "Applications"
    c. In upper right you will see list of all applications
    d. There is a category for "kind". Click on this to "sort by kind"
    e. Anything with "PPC" as a kind WON'T run, as 10.7 is "Intel only". Apps listed under "Univeral Binary" -should- run. Intel apps should run, as well.

3. Install a copy of 10.7 on A DIFFERENT DRIVE, such as an external drive. Then boot from the external drive, and test each app to see if it works.
    If such testing give you satisfying results, then you can install 10.7 onto your internal boot drive.
    If such testing gives you poor results, just continue to use the internal drive with 10.6.8 on it.

5. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Ah, good advice. Sounds like a good starting point.