Before you buy the new haswell 13" rMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackfishes, Oct 29, 2013.

1. blackfishes macrumors newbie

Read this!

The keyboard/trackpad freeze is a real issue. The ~40pages of discussions started only the 25th Oct (probably as people start to get their hands on one)

i've just received mine yesterday and was really excited about it until i encountered the same problems. Personally i think it's a driver issue/mavericks bug- but just wanted to make sure you are aware of this before you buy. Hope Apple fixes it soon!

2. TooSmooth macrumors member

Its probably just software. My late 2010 MBA used to have this issue, triggered when plugging or unplugging stuff into the USB

3. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Might as well throw this in here, unfortunately. First video proof I could find was this from another forum member.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCPYJnsWbuo&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqCPYJnsWbuo%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n0rinphviw5zwu/Video%20Oct%2028%2C%2010%2028%2021%20PM.mov

4. blackfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what i hope too- without this issue it would be the perfect laptop for me.

i wonder why it (the new 13" rmbp) shipped with a different version of Mavericks thou... (13A2093 vs 13A603 which everyone else is using- including the new 15" rmbp)?

5. daudi81 macrumors regular

This happens on mine. 13" 2.6ghz, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD. All I have to do is turn the power button (sleep) on, and back on. Takes 3 seconds, and I can continue my work where I left off, but still pretty annoying. Only happens rarely.

I also bought the 15" and couldn't decide between the 2 - but I think this made my decision easier. The 15" has yet to ever lock up.

6. blackfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting- closing the cover and waking it up does the trick for me too. Do you get the following errors in console for your 15"?

"kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)"

7. MrT-Man macrumors regular

You guys clearly haven't used Windows machines -- I've had this happen all the time on my Sony laptop.

The difference is that a PC user would just shrug this off and say "meh, must be a Windows driver issue" rather than create a 40 page thread complaining about it! ;)

8. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I read that entire support thread.

There seem to be a few important nuggets of knowledge scattered throughout the 40-odd pages.

1) Some people can close the lid for a few seconds or minutes, re-open the lid and everything is peachy keen. However, this doesn't work for everybody.

2) Programs like Teleport or Mobile Mouse, if installed and set up, will allow you to control the Mac even during the freeze. SSH also works. Not great solutions but at least they're better than holding down the power button or waiting 5 minutes.

3) Some people have started to report that if you leave something plugged into the USB port, the constant console errors disappear and the freeze doesn't happen. This is tentative at the moment, though nobody has come out and claimed they've had problems with an active USB device. Plugging in a USB device after the fact seems like closing the lid: after a few minutes, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get unfrozen.

4) Two people reported that after reinstalling Mavericks, their problems were solved. But IIRC some others near the beginning of the thread said reinstalling didn't help.

I just got an email tonight that my 13" mid-range rMBP has shipped. I plan to go out tomorrow and buy a USB thumb drive, and keep it constantly plugged in. I could use a thumb drive, anyway. :)

9. Bryanw3535 macrumors regular

I can confirm I've had this problem as well. Late-2013 13" rMBP 2.4/8/256

For me all that works is doing a force-off (holding power button down till it shuts off completely) then turning it back on.

10. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Have people tracked down what is causing it? - is it random?

Is it affecting all units? - or only some?

11. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Returned a sony laptop last month, but that was for poor wifi reception not freezing.

A properly built windows machine should be rock solid and never freeze, anyway OT.

This is certainly an issue to watch.

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

It happens randomly but it seems related to power management.

I would say given what I've seen reported - all 13" rMBPs are affected, though not everyone might have had it happen to them.

Also the 13" runs Build 13A2903 of Mavericks... which other Macs and the 15" rMBP is on Build 13A603, so it looks like the 13" has a custom build currently. A reinstall gives you the same build so don't bother trying that as a fix.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

It may be real, but it certainly isn't universal as I have had no issues with my 13" 2013 rMBP. It may well be a firmware or driver issue, though. Hopefully whatever it is, they fix it quickly.

14. MattGarner macrumors regular

Yeah I haven't had any issues with it yet either.

15. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Well i don't know if it's the same issue you guys described, but on my 13" 2.4/8/256, the trackpad or keyboard freeze just for a couple of seconds sometimes...but until know not that i had to reboot or something.
    It's like 5-8 seconds and than it works normally.

16. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

My 2012 13 inch rMBP, which I upgraded to Mavericks, runs on 13A603; wonder why the Haswell version runs on a different version.

17. ASKendrew macrumors 6502

ASKendrew

This happened to me in the Apple Store, it totally locked out and I couldn't do anything. I actually just shrugged it off and moved over to another machine though.

I've just ordered a 13" too, so will see if I have any of the issues with mine.

18. neteng101 macrumors 65816

It must be something they had to add specific to the "13 13-inch... the 2013 15-inch rMBP runs on the basic 13A603, and its not the one seeing these issues.

19. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

Not sure, but its funny that mine only froze today for the first time immediately I read this post... Its like mine's hypochondriac or emo and wants to get fit in and be injured like everyone else.

No worries, though, if its a massive problem it will be fixed soon, or I will return it.

Other than that, its been a sweet computer.

20. darkknight11 macrumors member

I had some glitches when I used M.A. from my 2011 MBP which I upgraded to Mavericks to my new 2013 MBP Retina. I reinstalled the Mavericks OS and now this thing flies and no glitches (so far)!

21. mcbrided macrumors newbie

22. neteng101 macrumors 65816

If you do a recovery it downloads the special build. Not sure if a download of 603 from App Store might help.

23. ahintz macrumors member

ahintz

I received my new 13" rMBP today, and so far ::fingers crossed, knock-on-wood:: I haven't had any issues. I spent most of the day setting it up (decided to reinstall from scratch on this one rather then migrate from my mid-2011 MBA), and as of now I haven't had any problems with the mouse or keyboard freezing.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I have the 2.6GHz i5 with 16GB of RAM in this system.

Apple's been pretty consistently issuing early updates for their new machines for the last couple of years, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see an update come out in the next week or two for the new rMBPs.

24. blackfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys... i've just tried a clean reinstall - wiping out the existing partition before reinstalling. seems good so far. (~ 4hrs.. will update soon!)